In the news thread

So basically we’re gonna be China but without the dictatorship.

And people are worried about microchips in vaccines.

To be honest it always was gonna go this way. Just a matter of time.

I wonder if it will spur on a new wave of tech/programming that blocks everything from this data collection. Got to happed

All depends how much say in it the tech giants have. We’ll always be customers of their products; it’s not like we have ‘rights’ of privacy when we’re using their products on their terms.

Decentralised computing will make a difference to that, if it gets adopted. Tim Berners Lee is all about that these days, having seen the beast that the internet became. I don’t fully understand it though. As build says, it comes down to enterprise adoption, unless viable “non-giant” alternatives come about. Too easy for small players to get stomped or bought for me to get excited about that though.

I still don’t get it but I want to. Seems to be about giving users ownership of their own data and provisioning access to each app, rather than submitting it all to a central authority (each app/business). I guess it’s to people what Blockchain is to banks.

2 Likes

I hope she chokes to death.

5 Likes

i don’t normally wish harm on anyone but she puts the C in Cunt. what an absolute fucking asshole

3 Likes

Looking forward to skating the bowl at Selfridges again

You’re so shit at this and I don’t know if you just block out things you don’t like, or if you’re trying to change the subject.

It’s like you expect people to go, “Wow, fuck Priti Patel, that’s absolutely disgracefu… OH! Skateboarding! Yay!”

Prick.

3 Likes

I think it’s sort of random. How this thread seems to work is people put up news stories as they arise. Lately it’s jumped from the government crackdown in Burma to the killer policeman to Priti Patel. And I read this morning that we’re all going to be vaccinated in the next couple of months, which means we should be back to indoor skating soon. Relevant news to most of us, no?

Or is there something I’m missing?

i hope they do get it done by june. just booked a holiday to majorca in june - hungover…

1 Like

Either way, today’s news means skating’s going to open up sooner rather than later. Which is a good thing, and worth knowing. Whatever I think or don’t think about Priti Patel or anything else.

Like you wouldn’t believe.

2 Likes

I like how your link also slips in that we’ll be done 2 months before europe. Rather celebrating the wider success of a vaccine.

3 Likes

Is that part of your analysis, aye? Part of your big report into the suggestibility of skateboarders aged 20 - 50 in the UK, yeah?

I can just imagine you on the phone, late at night to your colleague working on the mountain bike forum, or the windsurf forum or whatever, going, “I am talking about skateboarding, and yet these ones still think I’m a total Michael Fabricant. It’s like I’m not getting through at all! What do you advise?” and then sending over your findings.

2 Likes

I checked with Dom, and he reckons I’ll can carry out the evil plan if I fit in better by calling people Michael Fabricants. He says you’ll appreciate that. He’s had me reading my lines “Sean Bailey is a Michael Fabricant. Priti Patel is a Michael Fabricant…”

@Warwick, not arguing anymore, but this is what we all think you are doing at this point.

Bring back Skane and/or nextman - they were better bad guys

4 Likes

I wasn’t here when they were around - what were they like?

Use wayback machine for your research projects.

I wonder if Skane was Steve Kane - old time skater, even older than me, who used to be in the U.K. mags years ago

Pop that one in the spreadsheet.