In the news thread

I wish the XR protest could of got more support as we really need to sort this planter out , like 10 years ago. But they actually managed to turn more people against the cause and them.
Not good

Good party that.

1 Like

Spiral Tribe were there. It was great.

1 Like

Did my uni dissertation on the acid house movement and the CJB protest was a major part. If only I was older Iā€™d have been there in a heartbeat and probably a fucking fast one too .

2 Likes

Was more the ā€˜tought bit for the old billā€™ bit. I felt they could have just let this one happen with minimal intervention.

Didnā€™t seem as big as the Rangers fans in Glasgow.

2 Likes

And the met police werenā€™t in Glasgow to sort it out .

2 Likes

Back to Shaun Bailey for a moment. He said:

ā€˜as a father and husband it breaks me to think that my wife and daughter have to live in fear in their own city. It doesnā€™t have to be this way. As Mayor, Iā€˜ll ensure that we are working to deliver for the safety of women and girls in London.ā€™

Thatā€™s good, yes? Whatever you might think of him personally or politically

Problem solved then. What else has been happening?

6 Likes

ā€œAs Mayor of London, I want every woman to be and feel safe ā€“ and that starts with educating menā€ - Sadiq Khan.

Operating in soundbites: an unwinnable war.

8 Likes

Exploiting a tremendously sad situation for electioneering purposes. Thatā€™s good is it?

You utter utter prick. Fuck off.

8 Likes

Depends what he means by womenā€™s safety? He has previous for being consistently patronising to women:

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1049749437390737408

I could see him having a very narrow view of firstly who constitutes a woman and what he thinks their proper roles should be.

4 Likes

Iā€™m not going to die in a ditch to justify everything Shaun Bailey has said - he has a tendency to go off piste. But it seems a bit hard to see people call him a cunt for what he said about protecting women.

Is he not being called that because it just reeks of political manoeuvring?
It seems to fly in the face of his attitude previously.

Itā€™s great if he has updated his views, but this was my point re: soundbites - a lot of people on here are more interested in track record over a selection of words uttered.

3 Likes

This is such a horrible sentence. Some empty platitude cancels out everything else, does it?

It seems like you think that weā€™re going to judge him by his most reason remark, rather than by his history, but Iā€™m curious if you genuinely think that way too. Like if you cared about people (I know, I know, but just imagine for a second) would you base your opinion of this man on something he said recently, some meaningless press release, or his demonstrable past of being a Michael Fabricant?

Wondering how racist Tory PR-peopleā€™s minds work, basically. The way you posted that quote, without a link, felt like you were offering an ā€˜updateā€™, like ā€œNever mind who this person actually is, something he said recently cancels all of that outā€.

1 Like

Bailey is a maverick. Sometimes he says things before he thinks, and sometimes he says things he later regrets, Heā€™s a social conservative but also a former youth worker working with underprivileged kids, and heā€™s a child of Windrush-generation parents. Heā€™s not all good but heā€™s not all bad. I think the point is that the world isnā€™t divided into saints and sinners. Sometimes people you utterly disagree with have a point

Maybe he doesnā€™t actually mean this, maybe he and his people know itā€™s the right thing for him to be seen as saying. Fair enough if you think he means it though, youā€™re nowhere near as clever as you think you are and we know youā€™re very easily led.

Any chance the heavy handed behaviour from the Police will mean there is a lot more public scrutiny on this bill now?

1 Like

Looks like we can get Warwick sent down for ten years thanks to the new bill.

2 Likes

i went to that. saw a particularly gnarly incident in hyde park where someone threw a dustbin at a mountain policeman and knocked him off the horse. Said protester was quickly surrounded by loads of other police on massive horses and not sure what happened after thatā€¦