In the news thread

Also cannot wait to wear my shoes in the office.

1 Like

Whereas I will be wearing shoes, but not in an office. Interesting times for shoes/offices, no doubt.

3 Likes

We had a survey to fill out of how weā€™re coping WFH and one question was what we miss from the office and all I could think of was ā€˜cakes on birthdaysā€™.

2 Likes

Surely anybody with any sense takes their birthday off?

4 Likes

Shoe talk spreading like Covid. Should probably have quarantined that post not moved it.

2 Likes

I could quite happily wfh permanently but I do agree that there are legitimate concerns about new starters feeling part of the team in the same way as everyone who knew each other before. I think Iā€™ll probably end up doing a couple of days a week in the office.

I lasted about a week in a shared office space. The amount of time people spend talking utter shite and mooning over each others little dogsā€¦

4 Likes

All I hope is that there is no great drive from the gov to get people back into offices, just stay out of it as it was embarrassing enough last time.

Bringing your dog into the shared office space is a big thing in London, less so elsewhere. I swear these people only get dogs so they can take them to work to instigate conversations.

4 Likes

I miss the office.

Currently in one day a week.

ā€˜ Mathrani also claimed that people are ā€œhappier when they come to work,ā€ ā€˜

As someone fortunate enough to have not had to go to work for almost five years now I can tell you that this man is talking absolute bollocks.

6 Likes

Iā€™d dream of a 3 at home, 2 days at the office situation. Although I realise Iā€™d probably feel a lot differently about this if I had to drive to work or if I despised my colleagues.

But as someone mentioned - itā€™s one thing working remotely at your existing job where you know exactly what to do and whatā€™s expected of you, and any friendships you do have with colleagues can essentially be sustained. But itā€™d be another thing completely starting a new position at a new company and not actually ā€˜meetingā€™ anyone or just being able to ask things in person.

Even though Iā€™m a student again nowadays, Iā€™m still working full-time to pay for tuition, and the company morale has definitely plummeted a lot since we switched to working remotely. Nobody really bothers to make any effort with group social chats and whatnot. The corollary of that is that I feel like people might be more productive, but it no longer actually resembles working as part of a team or being part of a bigger picture. And even though I donā€™t really give a shit about my current company, it still feels quite natural to want to belong to something. Perhaps itā€™s just an innate human trait. I donā€™t knowā€¦

One thing thatā€™s great though is no longer having to deal with the bullshit of working to the hour even if youā€™ve completed all your work. Itā€™s such an archaic measure anyway, but regardless, most managers still have to adhere to it when youā€™re at the office. Instead, nowadays, just try to blitz through my work in the morning, and use the rest of the day to study. Thanks pandemic!

Also, one thing I really donā€™t miss is dealing with disgusting shared kitchens/bathrooms at the office. I donā€™t think I can stomach again having to use the loo after itā€™s just been ā€˜freshly bakedā€™ by someone else.

2 Likes

ā€œOpen up, weā€™re here to test you for Covid.ā€

ā€œNah.ā€

ā€œOK bye.ā€

This morning I drove/sat in standstill motorway traffic for an hour and 20 minutes to open up my laptop here in the office to do what I wouldā€™ve done sat at home.

I just donā€™t get it.

13 Likes

Iā€™m really looking forward to being with everyone at my work again, theyā€™re all really great.
But Iā€™ve been able to do all of my work from home for the last year and a bit perfectly fine, except for trying to organise terabytes of footage between myself and the rest of the film crew. I wonā€™t miss that.

Iā€™m loving working from home and having a much better balance of home/work. I really need to make sure I keep that going as much as I can once I go back into the office next month.

1 Like

Wow. Are most of you on here heading back this soon?

Our company terminated its lease with the landlord, so we technically donā€™t even have an office anymore anyway.

There will be a rota type situation

I started a new job ten months ago and have spent 5 hours with the other humans who work there in that time. The rest has been entirely zoom. Itā€™s virtually impossible to properly join in or integrate socially cos outside of formal meetings everyone gets on with work in their bedroom/home office. That said, my home leisurewear is much improved and I see my kids more. Probably a hybrid of the two is the answer.
Iā€™ll be pushing for 2 days in and 3 days out.
I think the people who insist everyoneā€™s comes in even against all logic are probably short on friends outside of work.

2 Likes

This is my main thing. Iā€™ve been able to see so many amazing moments with our boy that I would have otherwise missed. It will break my heart when I canā€™t take him to pre-school anymore, I love our morning walks before I start work :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I feel the pandemic has demonstrated to company owners and management just how well people can work from home and possibly the budgets which could be saved.

It has also weeded out some of the folk who just canā€™t manage their time or workload without being in front of the team, but I kind of feel like that percentage is pretty small.

Giving people a quality of life whilst in employment is so important and the pandemic should have reminded everyone from top to bottom of that.

There is an amazing opportunity right now to move forward for the betterā€¦
If management for office based jobs move entire companies back to full office hours that kind of reeks of clueless management, I think.

I guess this is all kinda obvious, maybe? But doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t hugely important in my eyes.

7 Likes