In the news thread

Googled that, and wow - that’s a thing.

Will people sit in the road over anything now?

Can picture the scene. “Sorry I’m late and the dinner’s gone cold, but there were a load of bored middle class hippies sitting in the road chanting about putting milk in the mug before the water from the kettle, or something. Might have been the other way round. Fuck knows. Ended up just running over a bunch of them.”

3 Likes

I’d be down with XR so long as they learn how to not disrupt emergency services or public transport etc. I think they disrupted the tube once, which was dumb as fuck. Surely they want more people using public transport.

HK showed everyone how to run these things successfully, everyone else is rag tag in comparison.

6 Likes

Disrupting people getting to work is one thing and still not great in my opinion but possibly delaying nurses, doctors etc puts them firmly into the Brian category.

3 Likes

Since they don’t know who everybody is and where they’re going, they’re dicks. Shouldn’t they block a particular place? A plastic factory or whatever the fuck.

1 Like

Insulate Britain are an offshoot of XR

Their mums and dads?

Civil disobedience is inconvenient on purpose. I can’t think of any other way to effect change than targeted eco-terrorism, which is also deeply uncool for other obvious reasons.

Easy to say when I’ve never lost a loved one as a result, but to me it seems less bad than a species extincting themselves through greed… Which, let’s face it, will happen if left unchecked. Maybe a lucky few billionaires (probably oil/gas barons) will fuck off to space with a bunch of eggs or something.

The above sounds extreme but I genuinely believe it’s that serious. Although I don’t really think anything is going to change until it’s already too late. But that’s apathy.

Tbh I don’t really thing governments or corporations are even capable of changing so it’s all pointless anyway. Our great grandchildren are gonna have zero fun.

Block their cars then. Not some Michael Fabricant trying to get his kids to nursery on time.

Also, I’ve never seen Greta Thunberg sitting in the middle of the road and she’s done more to draw attention to the climate crisis than pretty much anybody, ever. We can broadcast ourselves nowadays and it’s great. Nobody needs to make the public hate the cause by fucking with people who probably want to be able to help in the first place.

And there’d be a lot fewer 4x4s idling in an unnecessary traffic jam for hours as a result.

splinter group then, gone rogue perhaps.

I think it’s Gov inaction they are highlighing. Insulating houses is something that could start immediately and generate jobs (etc,etc, not an economist). In fact it could have started back in 2019 when XR first blocked roads but it didn’t. So now there are people on roads outside London.

I’m only a casual observer on XR itself but Roger Hallam intrigues me so I’ve seen a bit of the fallings out. The airport stuff was the catalyst I think, a hesitance from XR for more radical actions.

Yeah I agree. Needs to be a hell of a lot more PR etc and get people on side before trying to lock everything down and alienating people.

But have you seen what online discourse is like these days? Pick any topic, you can unsubscribe instantly, and create your own anti-whatever echo chamber if you want. Look how much hate Greta gets from full grown men, just for having foresight and concern for other people.

I don’t think the general population will ever care until it affects them, which it’s starting to, but not enough people even believe it.

Anyway, I’ve never even been to a proper protest so I’m talking out my arse.

1 Like

Precisely.

Government coup?? Fingers crossed

Edit - I think their DNS systems have cocked up

1 Like

Every time this happens I always wonder if it’s a complex coordinated attack by Russia or somebody tripping over a plug in the HQ somewhere.

2 Likes

That’s probably what caused it tbh.

1 Like
6 Likes

Oh well happy birthday then! 25 years young etc etc

1 Like

HBD @anon83623327 :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

1 Like