In the news thread

Absolutely reeks of him being asked to kindly fall on his sword so it can all be brushed under the carpet.

Look forward to another Tory winning his seat in the upcoming by election. Unless they change the rules on that as well.

1 Like

Heā€™s not falling on his sword though. Heā€™s quitting because ā€œthe last few days have been intolerableā€ and he wants a life ā€œoutside the cruel world of politicsā€.

Poor little wimp.

I think Tory policy these days (especially under Boris) is generally to assume no responsibility for anything, and to not force resignations because itā€™s easier just to wait for the next scandal.

1 Like

Yup everyoneā€™s forgotten about Hancock already.

1 Like

Oh yeah well he resigned so all is forgiven and forgotten it seems. Did they ever even find out who it was that so easily got the cctv footage in a government building? What a joke this lot are.

Hmm he criminally ripped off the entire country and probably helped kill a few thousandā€¦ to

HAR HAR, sex! Snigger, etc. V convenient

He sounds culpable and should resign. But it doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s been free of consequences for him. Didnā€™t his wife commit suicide last year? Arguably over this issue. Itā€™s really tragic ā€¦

But whose fault is that then? If he reckons this all contributed to it, and he freely chose to take this course of action, thenā€¦.

1 Like

He didnā€™t mention it at the time

Fuck knows. Heā€™s the one who tried to play the card though. Couldā€™ve left her out of all this shit no problem.

This is how fucking scummy they areā€¦ā€¦ at any cost .

I nearly had the police called on me for browsing the sidewalk forum using work equipment in work time years ago.

Sacked and I didnā€™t even make a single penny on the side. No right of appeal :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure I was let go from a freelance job for being on the old forum all the time. It was a shit job though and I got something better. But I probably was taking the piss a bit.

Family of multimillionaires in a hyper-corrupt country means this result is not only unsurprising, but actually expected.

2 Likes

Sounds positive! Some interesting stuff in this article. It will be interesting to watch how the Middle East transforms in the post-oil era if I make it that long.

Somethings better than nothing I suppose.

The Middle East wonā€™t have to worry too much , the plastics industry isnā€™t slowing down at all especially with the PPE and covid boosting the petrochemical production globally on top of all the vast new consumer products in demand that recycled plastics canā€™t keep up with .

Itā€™s also gonna take many decades to wean the globe of fossil fuel especially with aviation and space travel.

One thing they do have in the Middle East is fuck loads of deserts and a shit load of sun. Can easily see them being global solar power energy providers as long as they have the storage capacity.

1 Like

Yeah hopefully battery tech will improve and we can store that solar energy!

Plastic is only 10% of oil consumption or something. It wonā€™t sustain the industry the way it is today.

Iā€™d have a look at this

Yeah thatā€™s from 2018 itā€™s a bit out of date now. A lot has changed!

Yeah true especially as that was before covid and no one new of the production boost it had.

Good report of what happened in the sector here

I donā€™t really know what Iā€™m looking for there, but I can see that there was growth in packaging which offset some of the other areas that declined, and that the article suggests oil companies are gearing up production again.

I donā€™t think you can ignore the fact that even if the petrochemical industry is predicting growth, consumers, and governments, are starting to demand less plastic.

Personally, I think weā€™ll see single-use plastics being banned, vegetable/compostable plastics becoming the norm and way heavier taxation on the fossil fuel industry across the board.

I canā€™t see them ever sustaining themselves with plasticsā€¦I think theyā€™re backing a losing horse there and if I was investing my own money thereā€™s no way Iā€™d put it into petrochemicals.