In the news thread

I hear that but at least brands like Engineered Garments and Snow Peak and stuff aren’t capitalising on being worn by hooligans as part of their marketing. I think the military/uniform aspect of SI puts them in a different category.

Were they worn by casuals? If they were it’s to nowhere near the extent that SI and CP always were. Definite regional variations here,

And yeah, the materials are like nothing else (apart from maybe Arc’teryx Veilance, but that’s more recent), the outwear is pretty special. Wouldn’t wear a logo t-shirt or anything obviously.

That’s what they’re wearing now. Alongside SI etc.

Been to a footy game recently? All over the shop

Right, got you. I’m not talking about these ones nowadays, full of coke and wearing those things, and SuperDry/Moncler/EA7 etc. And all in identical black puffa jackets, but ones where the puffs are really narrow and not like when you’d only get three or four puffs in a jacket.

Football fans look stupid now. I live next to Hampden so I get to see loads of them.

They still loving brown adidas?

2 Likes

Not these ones. Black Vans Jazz, AF1 (black or white), Jordans obviously and various modern interpretations of previously-good shoes, like this:

Yeah those are the ones who were in Lacoste and trackies back in the day. Top boys will still be in SI and various non-outlet designer brands.

Yes. That’s what I’m saying. And all the kids in the other stuff (and in shit-looking Stone Island) just look like Love Island / TikTok people. It could be anything, just as long as you and your ten mates are all looking exactly the same, after a trip to Flannels.

I saw a lot of Hurraches at a Chelsea UCL game I went to a few weeks back.

Huaraches seem to have dropped off a bit here, after being absolutely ubiquitous for a few years.

1 Like

Newcastle away is still fave. So much Stone Island so much coke in the bogs.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/footyfooiigans/status/815592211693928449

5 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Surprised. Stone Island must be regional I guess.

1 Like

I guess to an extent it depends on where you live and where you go. The association with whatever group is obviously based upon personal experience. There aren’t any ‘old enough to know better’ cokey pub geezers, football hoolies, road men, urban yoof or aspirational Insta types that I see about so I have a bit of a different take on it. I am aware of the stereotypes though.

Around here if I see Stone Island, it’s generally being worn by relatively well to do older Euros. Obviously they’re picky with what it is - knitwear and jackets mostly, none of those goggle beanies. It comes across like it’s their version of Ralph.

Moncler is worn by property developers, estate agents done good and guys too young to be driving Bentleys and the like, not that that stops them. I suppose this lot would fit the Brian Cant label. In fact, in my experience, they mostly are total Brians.

Burberry isn’t always about a ton of plaid and huge logos. They still make some tasteful clothes - you just wouldn’t know because it’s not plastered with stuff to draw attention to the fact. Both my wife and Mum have a bunch of (old/ retro/vintage) classic Burberry.

Henri Lloyd up until recently was a genuine sailing brand. It was sold in the past couple of years and the buyer seems to be doing their best to screw up the heritage. I’ve got some sailing kit and jackets that are great. I could see the ‘armoured’ chest protection buoyancy aid being worn by some teenage wannabe road man though :wink:. If I see it round here it’s being worn by middle aged sailors.

The only time I’ve really noticed Aquascutum is my Dad has had the same ancient Columbo style trench coat in the boot of his car, ‘just in case’, for about forty odd years.

I like Snow Peak camping stuff. It’s not my go to obviously, there are more often than not alternatives that are either better or cheaper, or both. But they do have some useful ‘cook out’ stuff. I’ve got a couple of Snow Peak dog leads too. I was tempted by a few of the clothes but then I saw that prize Brian , Gallagher on tv wearing a jacket so that put a stop to that quick smartish.

Arc’teryx is good shit and Veilance is exceptionally well made. Don’t see much Veilance - wife has a down jacket that’s nice. Do see a lot of outdoorsy types and dog walkers out and about in Arcteryx.

I can’t say that I have paid CP Company any mind since the early 90’s. I don’t even know what a DSquared is.

Those are CP Company. Another Massimo Otsi thing.

1 Like

They make those funny hats that say ICON on them.

I’ve seen those on the heads of ratty or roidy looking holiday makers. Usually paired up with too tight joggers and jeezys or similar. Ugh.

That’s them! The lads that go to those gyms that only do the top half. Skin-tight EA7/Moncler/Balenciaga/Kenzo t-shirt, leggings and yep, Yeezys or AJ1s.

Doesn’t really drink much, but somehow the loudest most obnoxious person in the pub. Septum-rebuild to follow…

5 Likes

Spot on :joy: