In the news thread

RE him not knowing

chinny-reckon-chinny

1 Like

This looks like a shaved head to me.

She shaves it because she has alopecia.

7 Likes

We aren’t all supposed to know that are we.

Even so, it was a joke and nobody deserved to get slapped, it was shameful.

She has been pretty public about that fact. Also Chris Rock is likely to have known - he has previous for targeting her at award ceremonies.

3 Likes

I’m not reading the sort of stuff that would publicise such things.

Good job you’re not a comedian hosting the Oscars then.

8 Likes

I agree, the last time Smith became a meme it came pretty close to being the thing he’d be most famous for but not quite, this has outdone that by miles.

1 Like

I’m any case, there’s a whole lot of ‘shit joke’ and not much ‘shit brian cant’ for what Will Smith did in this thread.

2 Likes

His wife was being mocked for an illness she was suffering from in a huge theatre in front of peers, friends and hundreds of strangers (not to mention the millions watching). He lost his rag, and slapped the offender. He didnt punch him, put him in hospital or run him over. He slapped him.
Its great to think that put in that situation you wouldnt have done the same, but i couldnt guarantee that i wouldnt.
If that makes me a Bellend thats fine by me.

4 Likes

It’s not noble, he lost it and blamed god.

In fairness I think you’re right there but it’s not that surprising people want to stick up for Smith, so many of us will have grown up watching him and know him to be this charismatic and talented actor but will also know he has been humiliated in recent years through what’s happened in his personal life.

You’d think actual violence in public would see the usual types with their pitchforks appear but it doesn’t seem to be going that way.

Slapping aside, he did deserve best actor - I thought he was really good in the role.

Not that anyone will remember that now

2 Likes

Yeah I find that weird.

I think he did it’s because he realised he laughed by mistake at a joke about his wife.

I don’t think he found it funny I think he was just laughing along and realised he fucked up.

Instead of slapping the guy who made the joke he should have apologised to her after.

It was a low blow making fun of her appearance, especially since she has a hair loss problem, but slapping comedians if you’re offended or feel personally attacked is not how you do things.

2 Likes

Someone finally did this. Was waiting all day.

3 Likes

Silver lining to all of this is that it reminded me to rewatch Chapelle’s Rich James sketch. SLAP!

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve seen Top Boy but this made me laugh.

1 Like

The Spectator’s take was that Chris Rock showed dignity and restraint. Which isn’t something that’s often said. Brendan O’Neil, writing in the magazine, was in awe at the way he paused for a second or so, put his hands behind his back, and carried on with his act.

:face_vomiting:

(6 words to bulk out)

1 Like