In the news thread

And everyone is falling for the false equivalence between Starmer’s actions and what went on in No.10. in Johnson’s case I’d argue that it wasn’t trivial at all. He made a bunch of laws, went on TV every night to tell everyone how vital they were, accepted the resignations of people who broke them, all the while completely ignoring them himself and then he lied about it in parliament. Everything else he’s done can be spun and argued about but he’s banged to rights here and it’s a fucking outrage that he’s still in his job.

3 Likes

Yep, Allegra Stratton was made to resign for just making comments about the wine parties at Number 10, she wasn’t even actually at them, right!? Matt Hancock resigned as health secretary after admitting he broke coronavirus guidance during his affair. Boris has wiggled and wormed his way through all of this, misleading the public, police and parliament. Breaking rules he brought in, that saw families unable to say final goodbyes to each other and so on. Keir Starmer, though in a position of trust and authority, is not in-charge of making the rules and the running of this country but is there to hold Boris and his government accountable, even if that means leading by example and doing the right thing, like he is doing now.

6 Likes

This isn’t exactly the reason, more that unfortunately this is the sort of stuff that penetrates through to mainstream political opinion with the public at large and actually has the potential to change the way people vote. Mostly now people seem to be entrenched in either “Tory” or “Not Tory” teams and will never, ever see themselves voting any other way. Things like this have the potential to get people to change sides, as opposed to things like policy and statesmanship.

Is that funny?

6 Likes

The story is. Phones ‘accidentally’ being dropped in the North Sea. Passwords ‘accidentally’ being lost so the court can’t examine message histories.

Best quote of the trial so far: “Arguing with her is like arguing with a pigeon.You can tell it it’s wrong but it’s still going to shit in your hair.”

2 Likes

Johnson broke a law multiple times. He’s the prime minister. There are many reasons that he should fuck off but this one happens to have been actually investigated by the police and deemed illegal. The head of a country shouldn’t be allowed to break any law and keep his job

5 Likes

He’ll have to answer to his bosses soon enough - the voters

No. We elect a Prime Minister not a dictator that can do whatever the fuck they like until the next election.

3 Likes

I think we all know that most voters are complete dickheads

2 Likes

:yawning_face:

1 Like

They really want to push this class war thing don’t they. Bloody middle class blue collar workers doing nothing at home

There was a caller to LBC earlier who was a retired builder. He wanted 30% of the civil service lot to be fired because in his words “they do nothing anyway”. Proper chip on his shoulder about people working from home

Fuck this divide and conquer bullshit. It works so well and must be so easy to make people angry about “them over there”

7 Likes

How many different Tories have tried saying this now? I’ve lost count anyway.

1 Like

Daft twat. What’s he planning to do about it, exactly? People like WFH and if firms want to recruit then they need to offer it.

2 Likes

I get that generally Conservatives aim to keep traditions etc but it’s like they want to go back to workhouses

I genuinely don’t understand why they’re so against working from home when it clearly works so well. The whole “people won’t spend money on cities” thing is offset by “people spending money in other places”. You still have to eat when you’re at home

1 Like

I actually think working from home is bad for everyone. I get that you can make environmental arguments in support of it and so on…but overall I think it’s better for people to get out of their houses.

Also…I find it amusing how crap Boris’ ‘party’ crime was compared to the Finnish PM who was out until 4am clubbing. I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve never been out until 4am without getting a bag in so that gets at least double points on the naughty prime minister scale.

2 Likes

I disagree, back when people had to do stressful and expensive commutes they’d often just get the same train each day and then not even leave the office at lunch (I saw many eat that at their desks) so it was hardly a healthy working life in those days. Throw in the cost of living going up now and it just makes it ridiculous to go back to how it was.

I do get that’s not necessarily the case for everyone though, some people might really benefit from more social interactions through work.

4 Likes

I like a bit of both. More time at home is great but I like to go in and talk to people too. 2-3 days in the office is the best of both worlds

1 Like

My workplace have implemented hybrid working permanently. Mon-Weds in the office, Thurs and Fri at home and I’m seeing massive benefits.

The office days are great for the necessary in person meetings and collaborative work, and to sort out TBs worth of footage between other editors, team meetings, etc.

Home days are awesome for getting my head down, but also for things like being able to take my son to preschool, taking early morning walks, lunchtime walks to visit local businesses such as the bakery and cafe. I’m able to get more sleep and spend way more time with family.

I went to a gig last night and was able to clock off at 5:30 and head straight into town, rather than the 30-45 min commute that I would have otherwise had to do. I’m loving it.

8 Likes