In the news thread

Hybrid working is one of the positive side effects of Covid. Videoconferencing technology has been around for 50 years but it took a pandemic to get companies to use it to make people’s working lives better

1 Like

Hybrid working for the win. It’s been shit stuck at home for two years with no choice and no people to talk to apart from family. Had to go to a physio yesterday to sort out lower back problems from sitting at home so long hunched over a kitchen table.
But equally Alan Sugar and Bongo Johnson promoting every working day in a glass box which takes 60 mins of public transport to get to is not something anything normal would choose.
Bit rich for a builder to whinge about someone wandering about doing what they please and knocking off early because it’s sunny outside and the boss isn’t about. That’s every tradesman I’ve ever had contact with.

1 Like

I find working from the office is good for chatting with colleagues but shit for actually working. I end up with quite a lot of meetings which have become far easier to arrange and shorter/more focused since they stopped being in person. So in the office I’m trying to do the same teams meetings except with background noise or if the room is really quiet feeling like I’ve got to keep my voice right down. I hate it. And for actually then doing my work I just can’t get nearly as much done there as I can at home on my own where I’ve made sure I’ve got a really good set up. It all depends on your exact job, though.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t apply for a new job now unless they offered hybrid working. For me, it’s made everything about having to go to work better. Less money spent on commuting, less money spent on lunch, more chances to get my head down, a nicer working environment (less days sat in a hot stuffy, loud office) and more time in the evenings.

I thinking working at home 5 days was a bit too far in hindsight, I did miss a certain amount of interaction with colleagues.

But 3 days at home, 2 days in the office is something I won’t give up.

5 Likes

Fully agree and it also wasn’t even a reality for a section of office workers before covid either, I worked with and witnessed a number of people who did WFH every Friday because they could get away with it. Now that’s open to anyone doing hybrid working and it’s great.

Similar. Did 3/5 pre covid, have been full wfh since March ‘20. Apparently the office looks like a bomb has hit it - people raided it just before lockdown for equipment etc.

We’re hybrid now but I really can’t be arsed with the M6 anymore.

ETA - our hybrid is a choice, I’m perma WFH now, but would go in if required.

https://twitter.com/KeejayOV3/status/1524876154829688832?s=20&t=J6ccQ9au5eRJ-4yIm3eMQg

1 Like

Thankfully my company is on the ball with us staying predominantly WFH. We do a day once a week between 3 of us to sort out replacing broken laptops or phones and setting up new starter equipment, which is a nice change up in the week. We get a little meeting room out of the main office, which means we’re away from the noise and general office BS. Oh and it stops walk ups without tickets…

I never want to be in full time now, it’s ridiculous the amount of time I spent sitting in traffic in and out of Swansea, alongside just being sitting all day in a noisy office as well. I don’t only work better being at home, but just generally feel better about work overall.

The whole hybrid thing is cool, as we can work out all the different projects going on within the other aspects IT team, which is easier to do in the office. Plus it feels more of a thing on those days to pop to the market and get the good scran, like.

5 Likes

Well this makes sense.

4 Likes

I had a nightmare last night that I was complaining about Brexit and Boris grabbed me by the neck and punched me in the nose three times. He broke my nose on the third punch.

Fuck you for entering my dream, Boris.

Now there’s more than one of him. This is Kenneth Branagh

Fucksake.
Disappointed in branagh. Why would you want to look like that fucking idiot?

unsurprised though - anything for attention/accolades

1 Like

I’ll wait and see the thing, have to imagine it’ll be critical of him. Can’t see Branagh as a Boris fan.

1 Like

Oh it’s for a role.

It would definitely be a surprising new look if it wasn’t.

3 Likes

It’s a TV drama about Covid, apparently.

They couldve saved a lot of expense by slathering a pig in ky jelly and putting a mop on its head.

I hope it’s called the useless priveleged fat bastard who wouldn’t fuck off.

5 Likes

He’s also a massive brian cant on set . Bad temper and drama queen when directing .

1 Like

But then they’d been too busy chasing Cameron off set, while he kept sneaking in to get amorous with it between takes, to get anything done.