In the news thread

I actually think we’re already there, and part of the victory of the propaganda is that it’s still to come and therefore there may be sufficient time to fix it given the right leadership. I think the precipice of the slippery slope passed long ago and we’re hurtling ever further on our downward trajectory. Just a matter of how far down the slope goes.

Not much, it’s not the energy suppliers that are fleecing us. They buy energy and sell it for a small profit. If they sold at cost it would still be insanely expensive. If the price was capped they’d go bust. It’s the producers like Shell and BP that are ass fucking everybody, for no other reason than because they can because energy is auctioned off on the free market and they got the chance to capitalise on a crisis and increase prices due to higher demand. The solution would be temporarily taking the suppliers into the hands of the government so they could cap the cost and cover the losses. Or a global revolution where we all go out and publicly execute the CEOs of the energy suppliers.

2 Likes

When we eventually manage to produce sustained fusion energy it would be cool to launch every oil and coal baron into the little mini sun.

3 Likes

if only we could Just Stop Oil eh? In the meantime, we could Insulate Britain. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Whilst I appreciate insulating Britain could save a ridiculous amount of money, try getting a quote on insulating a 150 year old cottage. The UK is old as fuck and a decent proportion of our housing stock would require tens of thousands of pounds worth of work to insulate. For most it’s not even worth considering

2 Likes

It is a tough one; and only one small part of the bigger picture.

What if suitable housing stock could be provided, would the occupants of that type of dwelling be keen to re-locate to a nice new eco-optimized house? Kind of harks back to the post-war period where last-centurys communities were replaced. It’s all grim, all at once.

1 Like

I really think regulations on new builds should be tightened to make them more efficient. Insulation-wise they’re mostly fine, but there’s no reason they shouldn’t mostly have solar panels, discreet wind turbines and heat pumps as standard. It might make their initial purchase prices more expensive but the long term benefits will far outweigh that initial extra spend.

Every new build I looked at in the last year had a heat pump. I think it is the law now. It also means they have to be super insulated and efficient or else the heat pumps would be shit

Solar panels are apparently getting cheaper and more powerful by the day. I really should look into it

1 Like

Not massively comparable because my energy needs are pretty low at home but I run 2x 150w solar panels to about 400ah of batteries and that covers me completely for about 10 months of the year, the other 2 get about 30mins of a generator every day to top it up. That’s pretty much just for charging things, lights, TV and various pumps though, no heating or cooking from the electric.
My point being, we get plenty of sun here, it’s a waste not to use it.

I had a thought this morning that someone should invent a way of disguising panels so they looked like a regular tiled roof so nobody could moan about them being ugly.

1 Like

Been on the cards for years

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/solarroof

Ah was gonna post this. There’s other brands too. Someone in our village has just replaced their roof with some solar panel thing that looks so good

I couldn’t care less how it looks though tbh. It’s more the outlay vs return that I’m worried about. As I said though, it sounds like we’ve reached a point where its really viable even without government subsidy

@niallc thanks man. Just out of interest, what’s the lifespan like on your panels?

I’ve had them 4 years and they were used when I got them, not a clue how old.

1 Like

Missed out on my millions once again

1 Like

You plonker blodney

1 Like

‘Man Does Job’.

It’s just depressing this actually works on porridge brained pensioners.

1 Like

No, no, no.

1 Like

'In the most shameless way, people have noticed the things he said and did and that’s just not fair.

Precious little snowflake.

LOL slash ARRRRRGH FFS.

1 Like

Clown politics. FUCK. OFF.

2 Likes

Can’t believe we actually pay these people.

1 Like