Interview Thread

I had to check I wasn’t in the football thread there.

6 Likes

Skateboarding IS a sport.

I just have a browse from time to time at work. Don’t see the need in having an account or posting on there.

I find it weird that he typed the word ‘Bro’ into a sentence

2 Likes

Same.

hahahaha Jamal Smith is brilliant

He was at Guildhall once with halfwaybrooks, was super nice

“Damn, if everybody and their moms got banging kickflips, do I really need them? Ever since then I’ve been doing rocketed heelflips and now I’m a billionaire. You can do the same.” hahahaha

5 Likes

Yes Jamal Smith is so great. This is a classic

Weird he talks about skating like it was only invented 10 years ago. Its yo-yo’d in and out of public existence for 50 years.
The Olympics will be another "back to the future " moment unfortunately not representing skateboarding -more the jock/competition and medal goal side.

It’s going to apeal to non scooter kids and those in the know, but not as spectacular for the public as gymnastics. That’s where it could trip up in making any difference to the Olympics.

And the less nyjah jock skaters in the industry the better

Jamal Smith is a a tidy geezer. Got chatting with him at the Troublemakers Festival in Swansea a few years back. He noticed the Sabotage t-shirt and we chatting about him making beats and the skate scene in Philly haha. I think he was relieved I wasn’t calling him the ‘wack guy’…

All the kids were hyped watching him do tornado spins and dreidels or whatever concoction of mini ramp spin-er-roos. His style is dope.

1 Like

Had a lengthy chat with one of my favourite photographers about growing up in Sydney, getting schooled by Dave Chami and Mike O’Meally, alongside the stories behind a bunch of his favourite photos of Austyn, Dylan, Chima, Andrew Allen and more from over the last ten years.

4 Likes

This was a great interview @PiledriverWaltz, loved the Nuge and Grosso pictures.

Never seen this one before either, proper perilous shit:

2 Likes
3 Likes

That was great, have now ordered Out of Sheer Rage on the strength of his recommendation.

#everydamnday

Had no idea Jason Molina used to visit Slam shop. I am stoked on that.

1 Like

God I absolutely love that songs:ohia album.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Axxess & Ace, but obsessed over all his output and think I’ve got most of it. Gutted I never got to see him play when I lived in London, but did catch him once in Paris.

1 Like

If you’re a fan of Tim and Eric, then you’ll be interested to find out that when they had Tommy Wiseau in to do T&E’s wacky ideas that Tim mentioned he was a massive PITA to work with…

It’s mentioned in a podcast or some other interview somewhere and I can’t remember the exact details, but that’s the jist of it.

I’m not really surprised, to be honest.

The Room is one of those ‘It’s bad, but it’s good because it’s bad’ movies.

For sure, check the Disaster Artist if you haven’t already. And any of the huge number of video essays about The Room on YT are usually worth some time.

1 Like
1 Like