Interview Thread

Such a great interview.

1 Like

ā€œWell that first video I saw, Hook Upsā€™ Asian Goddess, still has for me the best music in any skate video. Youā€™ve got Lush, Frank Black, Pale Saints, Curveā€¦ So many good ā€˜90s indie bands from that time. That introduced me to so much shit.ā€

Fuck YES. I bought a bunch of the albums off the back of that video.

Great interview!

1 Like

ā€œNot into any rock star that loses touch with society. Billy corgan is much like it. Billy Bragg aa well. Money makes ya distant from your fans but Iā€™ll still enjoy the musicā€

4 Likes

For sure. With music where the person turned into a twat, I think itā€™s easy enough to still like any pre-twat material.

I do remember feeling a bit let down when I realised that Jim Reid an Robert Smith probably actually got loads of girls and had a pretty good time. Kinda felt like those sad songs had been lying to me.

Is it easier to still appreciate a skateboarder when you realise theyā€™re a dickhead, because thereā€™s nothing actually spoken?

4 Likes

Thatā€™s serious Make A Wish Foundation level of awesomeness, what a guy.

3 Likes

Really enjoy Cory Duffel. Heā€™s a real person. I wonder if he thinks that his near career ending interview has been integral to how amazing heā€™s turned out? I believe it could be a huge factor.

2 Likes

Definitely, I got the impression it still weighs heavily on him.

Would love to see him on DGK, even if itā€™s just a guest board or something.

Great interview @buildafire, he comes across as an interesting character all the time.

2 Likes

That is a great idea!

Iā€™d forgotten all about his pro shoes and 88 in general, this doesnā€™t look too bad though:

Canā€™t imagine a vulc Osiris looking very nice though :grimacing:

1 Like

I can still enjoy the smiths because I just really like Marrā€™s upbeat jangles against morriseyā€™s barely tonal drivel. Itā€™s still unique. But Morrisey has not done anything close to ok since Vauxhall and I so I just imagine this is the point he turned his corner into cuntyness.
I can still listen to Smashing Pumpkins, even the pretentious Machina is a great album but anything after that not including Zwan is utter wank. There are plenty of other examples. I guess it depends on the crime. Luckily iā€™m too old to have ever been into numetal and Lost prophets.

2 Likes

That isnā€™t too bad. A modem version of that would be pretty inoffensive. Got a touch of the OG Duffs about it.

I had a few 88s and they were really good standard skate shoes.

The 88 video was good. Free with Sidewalk, as I recall. And in a proper box too.

https://youtu.be/1mPTMw1EdF0

2 Likes

Strubing yeah!

Still amazes me how they chose ā€˜88ā€™ above all else, did they not have a clue the associations with it?!?

Different times, innit, even though it wasnā€™t that long agoā€¦ Nobody would really make that associate then, I donā€™t think. I donā€™t remember it ever being a thing.

Like Antihero using 18 all the time.

TWS - So why 88? The answer is surprisingly simple, and telling. Dominick explains, ā€œWe (Markovich and Dominick) came up with the name based upon our favourite and most influential year in skateboarding-1988.ā€

There was November around that time too. The worst month for skateboarding.

1 Like

Which shoe company was the one that sponsored the whole of the Death team for a minute around that time (if they didnā€™t have a shoe hook up already)?

Vox, maybe?

3 Likes

Crazy how many independent shoe brands there were in skateboarding up until a out ten years ago - and how many start up ones there were, tooā€¦88, Vox, Nadia, Sheep, Aeon, Gravis, Axion, Adio, Vita.