Interview Thread

I interviewed Sam Ashley, and it’s up now. Loads of amazing photos in this one.

11 Likes

That was rad. An enjoyable read. I particularly like Sam’s way of perceiving the general emptiness of spots and the associated relative apathy of security guards due to the Covid situation as being comparable to Sunday closing/ the early nineties. A positive spin on what has been, for the most part, a pretty shitty experience for a lot of people. A nice end to an interesting interview.

3 Likes

Solid read. Sam rules.

1 Like
2 Likes

I read the interview this morning. It seems he broke the rule of not going back for ‘makes’ after having coverage of non landed tricks a fair bit. The first Girl ad - the switch 3 flip over the road gap - not a make. A DC ad backside 180 over a gap - didn’t land it. The whole of his Skateboarder interview had not one landed trick in it :joy:

2 Likes

At least he is honest…now.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m still a fan. Any footage I saw was always good. His stuff in Listen was rad. As he didn’t get too much coverage in print I’d hazard a guess that a fair percentage of his magazine content consisted of shit he never rode away from. We would never have known if he’d kept shtum :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a fan too. He was just one of those dudes who I never really knew much about. Was super low key, but did his tricks really well.

One final push would have been cool to see…just a year - as he says - to really go for it.

1 Like

My friend Fraser had a little chat with Don Brown:

3 Likes

Had the great pleasure to interview my friend Adam Mondon recently.
Besides being a prolific skate video maker, company owner, Blueprint TM - Adam is also very funny and extremely candid about the mental health implications of skateboard sponsorship.

He’s also been responsible for digitising and finally uploading mid 90’s Ipswich scene video ‘Tough Guys’ which only existed on probably 50 VHS tapes originally.
When this came out, jaws dropped and it was part of the catalyst for things like Playing Fields/Unabomber and the DIY movement in UK skateboard culture of the time.

https://youtu.be/E1ZL2y0yHFY

13 Likes

Sick! We had a copy of Tough Guys. Bought it between 2-3 of us. ha ha

2 Likes

The skating on it is still fucking good today, 26 years later.

Just about to get into it…
What were that crews other videos? Meathead videos.

Ex-Rental…and something else? I had Ex Rental. Maybe it wasn’t Tough Guys. I need to check up…

Ex Rental and Grow Up were the two Meathead videos - Mondon/Shrew and Channon did those.

Tough Guys was an Ipswich scene video.

Yep. 100% had those two myself, so Tough Guy was the one we had between our crew.
Ex Rental and Grow Up would be in those boxes of about 120 skate VHS tapes I sold to you and Rye about 13 years ago…

2 Likes

really nice interview!. havnt seen this video in so long but its still so good.

1 Like

Finished it. Wow.

Four Harmony videos. WFTW, FB, a HOAX video and four local scene videos for East Anglia, a lot of Playing Fields.

He’s fairly prolific, eh?

3 Likes

He’s also the top post on #cheeseandhambaguette on Insta now too.

LOL

4 Likes

#unstoppable