Interview Thread

That bit about being on a tour with “a really hot shot photographer, and the manager of the brand” reeks of bullshit.

Even if it did go down, theres no way it was with language like that.

2 Likes

Probably atiba

…with Mike Sinclair.

That was a good interview. The Rules of Skateboarding series, well, rules.

I’m not the biggest fan of Pontus but I’ll never dismiss how important of a brand Polar is and what he/it has done in skating. The stuff he said about Cliche/spots also seems off though. Not meaning to be CMOAC but I’ve interviewed Lucas and he (excitedly) talked about how great it was being young and:

1. Cliche trips being super fun and relaxed
  2. hanging out with older guys (including Pontus) and the spots they wanted to skate taking priority
  3. Jeremie being the type of person to clock when someone is enjoying skating a certain type of spot and taking them to more of them (Lucas talked about bank spots specifically but Pontus basically says it was plazas or nowt).

Maybe the interviewer forgot (I doubt it) but is it somewhat telling, in an interview about team management, that Kevin Rodrigues didn’t get brought up? Haha.

5 Likes

I’ve heard terrible things about that man.

1 Like

Withholding a random rider’s per diem on a whim to see how they cope and see if the other dudes help him out isn’t ‘character building’, it’s straight up brian cantiness. I think that was to get people to behave, so fuck that too. It’s not a school trip.

Much worse than that but that’s the one that I always think of. Making dudes starve to amuse himself.

3 Likes

I always found it weird how he was the Foundation team manager but also worked as one of the Nike TMs (Looking for super young talent, I believe) yet 90% of the foundation team had zero shoe deal and worked day jobs.

4 Likes

Yeah. Can confirm that was a big deal with the F team for a while. He’s in full Nike kit, and spending half his time in Oregon, while these dudes are blagging whatever shoes they can just to get by. He told them once it’d be a conflict of interests because his two jobs were completely unrelated. Dick.

3 Likes

TMs are all dicks.

6 Likes

Oh yeah. Maybe.

Polar’s logo is pretty inoffensive and clean though. Even the big logo tees are usually back prints. I’d wear one if it was part of the job territory and 90% of what I own is logo/graphic-less.

On the other hand, K-Rod has an interview the second Jenkem book and spends it wining about how apparently unfulfilling it is being a sponsored skateboarder. Complete with the usual “I’m uncomfortable posting about my employer on social media despite being an endorsed ‘athlete’ for a living”-crap.

So I can see both sides. Ha.

Edit* – while it’s unclear if that logo tee thing was directed at Rodrigues, I just remembered and got amused that he rides for Supreme who are, of course, renowned for their subtle brand name placement on clothes…

4 Likes

Creager Nine Club already discussing tricky curb manoeuvrage

Ronnie Kruger, hahaha

2 Likes

Anyone know why he was dropped from és. Seemed he got back on and all his recent clips are in vans

1 Like

1hr30s for the éS chat.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Andy Roy has a signature hot sauce? Why do I feel that it’d taste like a burning STD sensation?

5 Likes

Because if catching STDs was bingo he’d have a full house

5 Likes

Had a fun little conversation with Tom Karangelov about Michael Mann’s ‘Heat’, Toy Machine and The Talking Heads for Slam’s ‘Offerings’ series.

7 Likes

That was great, as soon as you mentioned that Heat comes up I knew I had to read it.
Such a great film, I love telling people the face about the gun sounds, and love that it was brought up in the interview.

1 Like

Had to turn the Nine Club off, either they’re deliberately writing ‘Barbarians at the Gate’ out of the history books (Ronnie included), or they just really don’t know skate history and shouldn’t be doing a podcast on it. You could mention it, even if Ronnie didn’t want to go into it. Especially when you’re bringing up his Foundation video parts again and again and wondering why he got kicked off. Did it get talked about later? I’d had enough by then…

1 Like