Interview Thread

Come on, Chris Roberts thought Ronnie bought his first skateboard off eBay, at the time.

I feel like you can spot the bits that Chris Roberts has memorised, by the way he blurts it out and makes a massive deal of it, even if there’s clearly something more important trying to be talked about. He does his homework the night before on YouTube.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, thinking buying a Turbo II for $75 (or something like that) was normal too. Kelly having a better understanding of skate history and being more up to date must be so embarrassing for the rest of them, now Roger has took a back seat.

3 Likes

Really miss Roger being there to keep Chris Roberts right (Half Cab came out AFTER the Caballero) but I definitely understand his decision. Must have been torture.

3 Likes

i figured Crobert being a bit slow on skate nerd stuff - whether deliberate or not - allowed guests to relax a bit, correct him, and tell their own story.
Colombo style

But it’s just rude. He’ll forget things he’s just been told and ignore people correcting him. Louis Theroux stays chill and lets the person open up, Chris Roberts is just an idiot.

It’s like his Numskulls just cannot be bothered.

5 Likes

Absolutely.

2 Likes

:rofl: you’re talking my language

2 Likes

I like crob but sometimes the guest will say something and the expression on his face is like showing a dog a card trick. Like genuine enthusiasm but absolutely no clue what’s going on

14 Likes

I don’t mind Crob and he has carved out this accessible avenue for nine club - not too nerdy, not edgy, gets a wide range of skaters - but his inexperience as a host really shows. It’s not even that he doesn’t seem prepared because he has pages and pages of notes each show - it’s that he lacks the ability to divert from these notes and pick up on interesting tangents. Or if he does follow a tangent, he can’t bring it back around - he always ends up relying on an anecdote about himself and then needs Kelly to pick it up.

As much as Kelly’s overly enthusiastic excitement of being in the same room as his hero’s can be a bit embarrassing, at least he’s up on skateboarding in 2021 and is able to throw in a curveball question now and then

4 Likes

and the fact he has done nearly 200 episodes and not really got any better at it is the real killer . i havnt watched nine club for ages but seems it is still pretty much the same

2 Likes

This!!!

Guest: “Interesting thing actually… I was at an orgy with Nyjah once, and the guy bringing the coke round was Mike Vallely, and he told me that he’d just seen…”

Chris Roberts: “Uh huh. So when did you leave Etnies? Sorry, not Etnies. Vans. Right? Was it Vans you were on?”

8 Likes

He’s even got half a clue about the skateboarding that went on before he started skating. Unlike our hero.

It’s not a lack of experience, he’s a simply a poor interviewer. He doesn’t listen to what the other guy says and as a result, doesn’t follow up on random, interesting tangents as he doesn’t know how to lead a conversation, or interview, more to the point. Zero research, zero understanding of what makes his subject tick. I mean, you don’t have to ask all the same dumb, bog-standard questions like how Joe Pro from Cali started skating, because it’s literally the same as every other skater. Unless you’re Bruce the Ox or started skating at Skatistan, your story about how I started skating is the same as everybody else.

Fuck 9 club.

If you fancy something different and UK oriented then have a listen to Joel Curtis’ podcast below.
The latest one is with flame-haired skateboarder, artist and Glaswegian lovely human Toby Paterson.
P.S. prepare yourselves for Joel’s AsMR voice in the intro, :joy:

7 Likes

2 Likes

mostly skateboarding is my current favourite of all the skate podcasts.
veer into sports but do it in a fun way.

1 Like

I don’t listen to podcasts but if I did, it’d be Mostly Skateboarding.

Mostly Skateboarding and The Bunt are the best for sure. I happily support them through Patreon.
I don’t mind The Nine Club. It’s free and kind of enjoyable during long drives. I pretty much only listen to the Stop And Chat episodes. Fuck paying for that though.

1 Like

There’s a recent (last week) Bro Rogan podcast on Spotify with Quentin Tarantino that i’m currently working my way through. Well worth a listen and Rogan isn’t too OTT yet!

Haha no - net yet!