Interview Thread

He’s blatantly not listening, but you kind of sense that he hopes the guest doesn’t even go too off-topic so he can stick to his list of questions. The Cab one was the worst, it felt like Steve wanted to make this his big interview, to talk about everything, and Chris Roberts just wanted to make it through to the end.

He’s said on a few occasions that is his schtick. I’m not sure it’s entirely true. Although, I am sure that whatever he’s doing and however his doing it, for the most part, doesn’t get the best out of his guests.

The shit-interview equivalent of the ol’ “It’s a prank!” clause.

1 Like

Roger firing some shots about Ricky Oyola at Eli from the backroom and then Crob going in too and asking if Eli sees himself as a tyrant? So out of the blue. Haha… Then Crob remembering he’s a millionaire and being nice again.
The reason that stands out is it feels like they’re the only things that got asked in the whole three hours! The rest is just nodding and going along with the stories.

1 Like

https://www.monsterchildren.com/rick-howard-interviews-chico-brenes/

Given what’s recently come to light about Ricky O I don’t think I’d want to ‘be in the same building’ as him if I could help it. Good to finally find out why Illuminati transitioned in to Silverstar.

Also, boy , can that guy talk. All the Streets are Silent - not if Eli’s about, eh.

Anyone know if we are going to get a chance to see the documentary anywhere over here?

3 Likes

Eli can talk, when I spoke to him for Slam it was eight hours over two sessions.

ATSAS global release is 10th September.

3 Likes

Cool, looking forward to it. I remember enjoying that Slam interview - definitely no one word answers there :wink:

1 Like

What happened?

There’s a bit more to it than just this, but essentially:

Way back Ricky was visiting Embarcadero and was trying something down the seven and bailing. Upon each bail he was yelling the n-word. Jovontae wasn’t having it and took a swing at him, next thing Ricky’s getting run out of there by a bunch of EMB locals. He used to do the same thing at Love by all accounts.

The story has resurfaced a few times over the years. Most recently Clyde Singleton mentioned it and called Ricky out over it. Ricky tried to set the record straight and ‘apologise’ but fucked that up entirely and, if it’s at all possible, made it worse and he came out of it looking even more of a bigoted twat. The beef ran for a while, back and forth between him and Clyde. Unfortunately it turns out he’s an objectionable dickhead, (Ricky not Clyde).

It’s one of those things where it’s hard to look at old footage of these guys - you know him and the Ethan Fowlers of this world and their ilk - anymore without thinking to yourself, ‘this guy is an insufferable racist’. Once you know these sorts of things about them, their Eastern Exposure 3 and A Visual Sound parts are severely tainted to the point where they may as well just get binned.

Edit: Let’s not forget his homophobia as well. He’s an all round moron.

5 Likes

And if you’re a homeless crackhead, forget about it!

1 Like

Old woman with the bin at Love was fair enough. Daft cow.

Remember about 20 years ago, he was on New Deal and on tour in Australia somewhere. He was playing pool in a local bar somewhere and a drunk local started winding him up, calling him Dick all the time. Either way, Oyola snapped and caved in the guy’s head with the fat end of the pool cue. He was arrested, was put in custody and later released but banned from leaving until trial, which he eventually got free after convincing the judge it was self defence.

A couple of years later I was living in Australia with some friends and we had a local pro stay at ours for a few days, who just happened to have seen the whole thing from start to finish. He said that the entire skate industry seemed to rally around Oyola like he was innocent, but far from it, Oyola should’ve been convicted of assault & GBH and to hear him try to play the misunderstood unfortunate geek in the wrong place at the wrong time was nothing short of a sickening lie. @Gibbo, jesus, I forgot, you were there too when all this came out.

I mean, 20+ years will change a person’s perspective and general demeanour, but there’s a lot of stories of him being an absolute gobshite floating about for it not to be true.

6 Likes

Even though that same Aussie pro rinsed me of all my money at cards on that same trip I can concur that the story was related to me in the same way. Grim stuff…

5 Likes

Ronnie Roberts?

Andrew Currie.

Aaah, I stayed at Ronnie Roberts’, he was there too

1 Like

HAWWWW THE CUZZA

1 Like

No spoiler but Snelling’s Roots Manuva story in Vague is excellent.

Jono Coote joining Vague has deffo upped the ante on interviews there.
One guy doing everything is never best (speaking from personal experience).
That Snelling interview is good.

I have heard from hip hop insider mates that Roots Manuva is better these days (i.e. off the crack) and recording again. All good.

5 Likes