Interview Thread

OK. I don’t see how that relates to, presumably, a reference to a child abuser(?), but each to their own…

That’s quite a deep dive to get to paedophilia from either Bill Strobeck or my comment, but OK.

1 Like

I interviewed Tony Hawk and it’s up on the Slam site now:

23 Likes

Before I read this…did you ask about his eyebrows?

3 Likes

Looks like he’s stopped drawing them on now going by that photo.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that. A quality read, as always.
Incidentally, I was just perusing that ‘86 Pink Motel cover Thrasher a couple of days back. There’s some classics in there as well as that Mofo shot Hawk cover - Rodney’s (Ollie) impossible sequence and, of course, Natas’ frontside wallride on the contents page.

1 Like

2 Likes

Aye, that’s the puppy. Nice one :+1:

Fuck yeah Build, congrats on interviewing the Birdman. Bet inner 13 year old you was tripping.

He’s one of those people that kinda transends skating and is just a fucking massive pop culture figure now - it must have been surreal chatting to him. Stoked for you.

2 Likes

Thanks man. It was a bit surreal. I DMed him and asked if he was up for an interview and he said yeah.

After about two minutes of talking it was honestly just like speaking to any rad older dude who remembers everything as it happened. I guess he’s around people all the time so he knows how to speak but he’s so easy to talk to. So stoked on him after that.

17 Likes

Really great I nterview!

2 Likes

That’s one of the best interviews I’ve read with him. I’ve always enjoyed what he had to say. I mean I used to read his blog back in 1999ish before blogs were thing

3 Likes

Really enjoyed that. Love your interviews!

1 Like

Loved it. Great interview he came out with a lot of good stuff. Made me think about how street skating is taken for granted now but it was such an evolution at the time. Crazy to see how far he actually took his street skating just to ‘keep up’. Proper legend.

2 Likes

Would’ve liked to have heard more about his pro shoe on Airwalk, or shoe talk as a whole. Was there anything he mentioned that ddin’t make the final edit?

Nah. These are pretty much always just the conversation. More natural, innit.

1 Like

Of memory serves he covered that in quite a bit of detail in a fairly recent Thrasher interview.

It’s probably more that I only speak to people I want to know about, so I’ll have points noted down, but it’s not a list of questions. So whatever those bits are, are probably just stupid things I’ve always wondered.

1 Like

Enjoyed that. Tony always comes across as down to earth, and I get the feeling that skateboarding centres around what he does. I think he’s mentioned previously about doing things so he can keep paying his team.

3 Likes

Thanks man, probably only worth doing if there’s still unanswered stuff to be found out.