Interview Thread

Not to sound condescending but we need to all agree on a few things to get this.

A bigspin is a different trick to a biggerspin. A Biggerspin has 180 more degrees board spin.

Simple version:

Bigspin = board does 360 shuv. Body turns 180.

Bigger spin = board does 540 shuv. Body turns 180.

This is where the confusion lies as it can be seen that Tone is talking about a bigspin due to the ‘360’ bit.
He’s not, though.

He is talking about the extra the board does compared to the body rotation and on ramp, it seems a bit more plausible as to that being how you’d think about it. He’s just not explaining himself very well when asked to clarify a trick.

Not so simple version:

A bigspin backflip is the same as a backlip but with a 180 degree shuv put into it (So, a 180 shove PLUS backside ollie).
The backside ollie will likely be less than 90 degrees due to the angle you need to get sliding - but the shove it will be pretty much bang on 180 ON TOP of whatever the ollie is.

A biggerspin backflip is the same as a backlip but with a 360 degree shuv put into it (So, a 360 shove PLUS backside ollie).
The backside ollie will likely be less than 90 degrees due to the angle you need to get sliding - but the shove it will be pretty much bang on 360 ON TOP of whatever the ollie is.

Nailed it. So that 180 (the shove it) plus the other 180 (the backside ollie) adds up to 360 degrees and a bigspin back lip.

Maybe I should ring him back up and ask him to do one of the one he’s talking about.

1 Like

That gif is a bigspin back lip.

The board turns 540 degrees.

1 Like

So it does.

Bigger spin.

2 Likes

It definitely is.

2 Likes

Tony does do biggerspin backlips. He was right in calling it that.
He was just a bit shit in explaining what it entails.

If he’s talking about the board rotating 360 degrees, it’s a bit of a stretch to call that anything other than a bigspin. Picture it if he landed on the platform, rather than in disaster on the lip. Nothing other than a bigspin, so if his trucks are over the lip, it doesn’t somehow get 180 degrees, or 120 degrees, added on.

But he does do biggerspin lipslides, for sure…

2 Likes

For sure. It’s the explanation that the board turns 360 degress that’s making this a bigspin back lip for me.

He himself calls it a bigger spin back lip. He makes the point that the board ends up the same way he started after the 360 shuv.

1 Like

Yeah. If we are going to be 100% correct to terminology here, he was right in calling it a bigger spin backlip but should have said “I did what I’d call a 540 shove-it to back lip which would be a bigger spin back lip, right?” after.

But he didn’t and thats where the confusion crept in.

PS. I get his thinking. Saying “Its like you do a bigspin backip but 360 shuv” makes total sense to me.

Yes. Totally.

Your board faces the same way it started after a 360 shove it, or a bigspin.

Well the bigspin/bigger spin is a complete red herring anyhow. As they’re both tricks that involve a 180 turn of the body, so a 360 shuv to lipslide makes sense as there’s no 180, just going up and down the ramp (which is kinda a 180 yes, but not in this case). The issue is if that you wanted to describe the trick using big/bigger spin terminology for simplicity’s sake (ha!), you’d use bigger spin not big spin.

Not in relation to your body.

Backside 360 shuv frontside body varial anyone?

Decuna probably

3 Likes

Sure. But your board faces the same way it started. Not in relation to your body, or to passing traffic, or the wind. A 360 spin means the board is facing the same way as when it started, regardless of what else is going on (in this case a 180 body varial).

Right, so we’re saying that 360 shuv it’s and big spins are the same trick because of this? The person riding the board is unimportant?