Interview Thread

…unless it’s Tone.

Tone is important.

I don’t know why you think that’s got anything to do with it. It’s like an extra layer of confusion. He says it’s a 360 shove it, and he lands in back lip. That to me is a back lip with a shove it, and therefore (to me) a bigspin back lip, but I guess that could be a shove it back lip. Depends what year you do it, and who does it. And what they do it on.

Not trying to argue with Tony Hawk about the names of vert tricks, it’s just quite misleading.

1 Like

Is there any body varial trick where the board goes one way or flips but you turn the other way any good?

I think quite possibly the only acceptable body varial trick could be one where it’s just an ollie and the body turns.

Still stinking and yes i’m guilty before anyone pipes up.

There’s an implicit 180 movement going into a lipslide on a ramp.

Tony clearly says that on top of that, he adds a 360 shove it and the board ends up beneath his feet in the same direction. If it was a shove it lip, or a big spin lip, the board would be the other way around.

1 Like

He says he does the 360 shove it to the back lip. The back lip being his back trucks over the platform, his back foot on the tail, and his front foot over the front truck, over the lip. He explains that his board rotated 360 degrees to get into that position, because if the board is still facing the same way as it started, it cannot have travelled more than 360 degrees.

If the board is still pointing the same direction for Tony then the board has gone 540 (or more accurately 450), as he’s turned during that process in tandem with the board.

So you’re saying he’s wrong when he explicitly explains that the board has turned 360 degrees and ended up in the same direction as it started? He didn’t say that it was now going in the same direction as him (a 180 or a 540), he says he does a 360 shove it and the board is facing the same way as it started. So, nose on the platform side of the lip. Tony in back lip position, facing a different direction after the 180 rotation of himself.

And if we’re saying that 540/450 is the same thing, it’s pointless trying to talk about what it should be called.

He says it’s facing the way it started, into a back lip, which would indicate the board has completed the full 360 before he turns it into the back lip.

Anyhow, you clearly have your interpretation, so all good.

2 Likes

Yeah, it hardly matters. Sounded like a bigspin back lip to me, the way he said it. Whatever.

Well I for one am glad we cleared that up

1 Like

Just noticed this bit:

“so my board ends up in the same direction that I started with, into a back lip”

Sorry, right enough.

Agree with that. It shouldn’t really be called a big-anything. It’s too different because of the change in direction.

1 Like

Totally.

Is that not a big spin back tail?

3 Likes

Oh god.

1 Like

I DJed after a band called Toys That Kill at Barfly one time and the guy from the band was really into it and he gave me some records and a t-shirt. The next day when I was sober I realised it was Todd Congeliere.

3 Likes

I just started typing that then saw you’d already mentioned it.
That Union video part with ‘Ed’s Dead’ by FYP. Next levs

1 Like
1 Like

Randomly, I played my daughter some Toys that Kill last night.
She pointed out it sounds a bit like that other song with “Heres the Church/Heres the Steeple” in…

Which took me a minute but I realised she was talking about Heathen Like Me by FYP.

Had to hold back the tears of joy. So good…

1 Like

Officially better at recognising Todd Cogelliere than me.

1 Like