Interview Thread

to paraphrase, ‘people told me that nike was culling its team and that i’d have a better chance of a shoe/loot on adidas’.

2 Likes

The Isle talk in the Casper interview is interesting. Both him and Shier have been at pains to emphasise everyone is still mates and people were alright with people leaving. But the leavers have essentially torpedoed Isle by doing that. Who is left? Shier, Jensen and Jon Nguyen?! Isle is going to struggle.

1 Like

Is Sylvain left, too?

It also feels like a short space of time to join a new company and turn pro only to not to be into it four years later but then if you do feel that way there’s no point sticking around I suppose. It’s just a shame that so many others seem to have felt like that as well.

1 Like

I’d say 4 years is quite a long time in a pro skating career for feeling to change.

Also after Vase, Isle have basically done nothing and they haven’t had to as AD has given the skaters more than enough exposure. I’m not surprised people would rather move on and have complete control over all aspects of their career. Shier and Jensen never seemed like they’d be the best at the nitty gritty of running a company, they’re a bit older and have much more going on in their lives. Could see there probably being some disconnect between them and the team.

It’s a shame because Isle graphics are always sick and so much different from anything else out there. Reckon just unfortunate timing for Atlantic Drift to come about and those Thrasher cheques are no doubt much more than what Isle could offer so it took the front seat.

3 Likes

Yup. Whole pro careers have been shorter…

2 Likes

Hopefully Isle can regroup, get a couple of new guys on the team and put something out. They’re a sick company and UK skateboarding needs something like them in the mix. I think they would benefit from working with a different film maker though, as yeah, AD sort of blurred the lines a bit too much.

2 Likes

If you’re not out in the streets with your crew, they’re are going to leave you behind and discover new things and ideas without you.

7 Likes

Would be cool to see them bring things back I can’t honestly see it, Vase set the bar far too high and it was a proper ‘crew’ as AD showed, I don’t think that magic can be recaptured

Feels like they need a UK based TM. Jensen is clearly in the role of creative director and Shier is US based. If no one’s pushing towards Isle projects it’s understandable why your focus would shift to AD projects

3 Likes

Love Beagle but the zooted connections in his life he makes in every interview are painful to listen to

Nah he is lovely and he’s living his dream.

Yeah nothing but love and respect for Beagle he’s a legend but every interview he does he has these long drawn out stories of obscure connections he makes in his life. Proper boring stoner chat.

1 Like

He was literally smoking weed and telling the story on a podcast called ‘Kush and Chem Trails’ what do you expect?

Ha yeah in this case true, but it’s every interview no matter the platform

This is rad. This guy was never really my cup of tea but he was definitely a trailblazer for big pop skateboarding.

1 Like

Oi oi!

7 Likes

It’s a good listen… plus now we know what voice to hear when we read his posts.

3 Likes

I’ll be sticking to my ‘Russ Abbott Scotsman’ thanks.

Halfway through, it’s like a ramekin of baked beans to my day.

4 Likes