Lintell's 'Northern Grit' part

The insularity of Californian skateboarders is so predictable yet always incomprehensible.
How can you be that thick?

9 Likes

Was that fucking Eldridge? Can’t say I’m surprised.

Would I be right in thinking that the pros on that show must’ve travelled pretty extensively abroad? Imagine going to all these places and still being that way.

4 Likes

I’ve personally been to half the places/cities that Lintell skates in that new part with Roberts and Eldridge.

9 Likes

I really truly hope he knows that the Soviet Union doesn’t exist anymore. If someone here knows him in anyway could you please check? It has actually ruined my morning the thought that someone can be that ignorant.

2 Likes

Are they not joking then? Saying Soviet Union just because it’s some crusty looking place that they can’t recognise.

I’m sure it would be one of those moments where if you went to correct them they’d be like “yeah of course…! Geez… it’s in Europe

Relevant:

11:37

One of the problems that exists in the American psyche, as well as with with a shitload of marketing departments, is that Europe is Europe. Europe is not the UK, which is different to Italy, which is different to Finland, etc. Europe is regarded as one country melded together with few if any cultural differences acknowledged between them. Obviously not every yank is that bad but you know what I mean.

4 Likes

I think a lot of people here regard Africa in much the same way.

7 Likes

Makes you think that America would make more sense as 6 or 7 different countries

Its basically 50 countries squeezed together

1 Like

I mean it is Biebel so you’re already in the shallow end of the gene pool before you start.

There was a story in sidewalk where Prod wanted to do a quick detour from MK to Bristol via Leeds so he could go to a record store years ago. Theyre not the best at geography as a nation.

2 Likes

I’m more surprised that he wanted to go to a record shop to be honest. And he actually knew of Leeds!? @anonymity Do you have any good stories of US pros saying stupid shit? I’m just going to make up a few that I want to believe happened:

GlasGOW - that’s in Edinberg. right? Do the skaters wear kilts too?

Wales… (looks at sea)… Neat flag - but why is there a dragon on it? Any relation to the Loch Ness monster?

Liverpool, Manchester… yeah I love all those teams! Go United FC!

Oxford… isn’t there some sort of university or school here?

2 Likes

Sad but true. I got that a lot in the States. People asking about the law in Europe (as if it’s the same everywhere), which is crazy considering that the States all have different laws, which they know about.

Try to tell them you’re from Switzerland, they’ll ask you about Stockholm if they’re bright… I got that in the UK too. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Personal favourite was “Ireland… So that’s near Hong Kong, right?”
All I can think of was that it was California in summer 1997 and probably due to the UK’s handover of HK back to China, there may have been a lot of white UK/Europeans in these news reports, like the governor of HK at the time.

Bristol to London via MK, I can understand that. Given that Americans and Canadians will easily drive 6-7 hours, still be in the same state, just to visit a friend for a late lunch, a 90 min detour wouldn’t be so bad. And if they’re told that Europe’s small, it makes sense they’d think something like this feasible.

4 Likes

I used to work with a woman who couldn’t point to Ireland on a map.

Curious, where did she point to?

To be fair, I doubt Eileen Foster and her crew of DUP goons would be able to do so.

7 Likes

Nowhere. Just had no idea.

The where is khazaktan round on house of games is an eye opener sometimes too.

Not that I’m saying that pointing at places is a sign of intelligence or anything but sometimes it’s a bit…wtf. How can you not point to India or Japan or whatever. The big hitters.

1 Like