Middle Aged Shed

I think its dyed the grain so unless you sand the shit out of it and lose the shape it may be worth finding a lighter dye, dying it and then sanding that back?

1 Like

Yeah agree with BDF , that old furniture would have an old solvent based varnish which will be deep into the grain , only way to get rid of it properly is by taking it to a place that dips doors , even then the dipping solution would leave a slight discolouration.

Probably best to sand off the varnish and apply a different colour/stain

1 Like

Reassuring that I kind of know what Im talking about sometimes!

2 Likes

It ain’t that old, it’s vintage Ikea circa 2021 @Chopper @BDF :joy:

I’ll just keep caning it with the sander then!

1 Like

Might sound like a really thick question, but how’d you stop paint rollers from coming off the frame? We’re in the process of renovating our bathrooms and we’ve got two rollers; one’s got a clip but it looks like B&Q don’t do them anymore, our other one they just slide on, but they slide off just as easy. Pissing me right off while I’m trying to do the ceiling.

I buy new ones every time and just bin them so I don’t have to clean them (I cling film them overnight etc)

Never had one that came off the frame before, they’ve all been push/tension fit ones from Wickes IIRC

2 Likes

Fixing leaking cistern and caught myself saying ‘As soon as this PTFE tape is finished I’ll buy myself a really nice roll’

1 Like

Yeah the frame we’ve got where they slide off is literally just a stick with a handle. Proper cheapo shite. Just heading to stock up on decent ones now. I despise painting so spending a couple of quid to piss me off a bit less is worth it.

1 Like

After a fair bit of rain this week I turned round to my wife last night and said: “the lawn looks much better for it”. At this point I realised I’m too far gone far too early.

7 Likes

My moment was when I heard myself say “ooh, that’s a lovely bit of cheese”.

5 Likes

Cheese is a gift from a higher power so I wouldn’t have shame over that!

4 Likes

No shame in appreciating a healthy lawn. I’m buzzing I’ve just oiled some shears my neighbour chucked out so it’s a Friday night shaping up the hedges ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

Wife has been on at me to tackle some bushes at the back of our garden today, and I really didn’t fancy it this afternoon. She decided to take the bull by the horns and do it herself, 5 mins in and she has cut the cable with the strimmer. Sadly “it’s a big job and I’ll have to get it repaired”… Off to wagamamas for lunch we go instead :wink:

1 Like

My wife’s exactly the same. I’m a lazy Fabricant, she wants to be on it at all times. So today she’s painting the en suite (which, to be fair, we’ve just had ripped out and re-plastered so needs doing) and I’m doing all the housework and mowing the lawn, which gives me ample excuse to have Test Match Special in my ears all day, for better or worse.

1 Like

Randomly curious about this

2 Likes

Omg that explains so much

Canadians mostly use Robertson screws apparently and more interesting screw and screwdriver facts here:

2 Likes

Do you know your Pz2 from your pz3?

2 Likes

Hungary bastards.

1 Like

Budapests.

4 Likes