Middle Aged Shed

My potatoes have come up really nicely, and looks like we’ve got fucking loads of them this year. Planted about 4/5 pots and we should have about 30-40 good sized spuds judging from what we’ve dug up so far!

The recent winds have blown loads of pears off of my tree.
They’re not ready yet so wasted.

Same. Now foxes and squirrels are eating them.

Burning loads of wood and annoying neighbours who want to put their washing out.

1 Like

Whack a couple tyres on there

and any leftover polysterene

Mowed the lawn last Saturday and it’s rained loads then been nice again since and now my garden looks wild again. Not stoked.

I have to get rid of the nettle around the chicken coop. #midlife

1 Like

An old damp (might as well be cardboard) wardrobe is doing enough work to produce the nasty type smoke so don’t need tyres etc to be annoying. I do have amazing immediate neighbours luckily but the ones further downstream must be pissed.

And the occasional aerosol can.

Today I’ve reclaimed my workshop that was overrun with kids toys and other things that just got in the way.
I can work on guitars in there again now.

And cleared a workbench out of the other shed to create more space as well as taking stuff that isn’t needed to the skip.
Shall get rid of webs and dust next before a lick of paint, installing some speakers and have an extra little chill room.
Exercise bike will benefit from space so I can use that and listen to music, watch films, whatever keeps me occupied while riding nowhere.

I really, really want a pool room. 7ft table. Might be able to build one at our summer house but will be a few years before that happens :frowning:

There’s some spare excess laminate flooring and the stuff it sits on that I’m toying with laying in shed 2 too.

I’m a tree away from destroying everything that was growing in my garden this time last year when we moved in. Funnily enough its the only one in a poor condition.

First world problems: a family of mink has moved in so there are no ducks or geese about to eat the duckweed and the river outside my house doesn’t look as attractive as it should.

Turf it over. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well this thread has made me feel like a massive failure… I’m knocking on 40 and live in a one bed flat for my daughter and I and you guys have massive gardens, serves me right for opening a skate shop I guess…

Have been growing some fruit and veg in a box outside though, Rasberries seem to be the easiest, Blackberries are trying, Strawberries just seem to have bugs all the damn time… Celery seems to be working… I’d be hyped to get one singular smoothie out of it before summers end and act like I’m self sufficient for a day…

3 Likes

Blackberries over here in Ireland just don’t seem to grow. I used to get boxes of them in the parks and hedgerows around my part of Bristol every August.
Berries just don’t grow in general for me at all - coastal, north facing balcony, so everything gets destroyed by the sea and wind - won’t be growing any veg or fruit to keep me through the winter, bah…

PS - don’t beat yourself up over garden size, etc. Are you providing for your daughter? Keeping her happy and grounded? Raising her to be an awesome person? That’s what’s really important. Not how much council tax you pay.

5 Likes

Battle at the Berries.

1 Like

She’s definitely happy, and grounded. The money I save by having a flat means I can do more stuff, taking her to Barca in October so yeah, all good…

Funnily enough I’ve been making some stuff at a DIY spot recently and its surrounded by tonnes of wild blackberries, and they’re huge, I’ve been eating them at the spot but gonna have to take some home. I used to try and go home with clips, now I’m going home with blackberries to make a crumble…

Dude, like Ciaran said don’t beat yourself up over it. Some of us have been luckier than others, let’s not forget there are shitloads of people in a worse position than you. Fuck saying ‘hashtag blessed’ and I have no idea what your full circumstances are but try planning out some small steps to get where you want to be. There’s no point having a big gaff if all youre spending money on is a gardener and maintaining the place.