Music thread

It is probably more likely that Beyonce is trying to get a piece of the country music money pie than country music desperately needs her.

Music is in a funny place. I guess artists should try different genres. Keeps them creative. Plus it doesn’t hurt the old bank balance if you’re successful and it widens your fan base and opens you into different chart sales too. Covering Jolene is playing it safe in opening those doors, huh? It’s a song you don’t even have to be trying to break into country to cover.
I guess the lyrics play into that whole “Becky with the good hair” cheating thing with Jolene’s “ …flaming locks of auburn hair…” haha…

I think Barrington Levy is my favourite reggae artist.

2 Likes

Just realised that Rodney P sampled this for Nice Up. Struggling to sleep and am finding new reggae artists.

2 Likes

It was Live Up he used it on. I was convinced it was Nice Up too until I went to play it and discovered otherwise (then was convinced it was used on Dub Pistols Ganja (Nice Up refix) which features Rodney P, but which I then couldn’t find as had totally forgotten the name of the track)

1 Like

8 Likes

Yassin Bey performs MF DOOM in Sydney in June, so hyped.

3 Likes

Jesus Christ just saw bits of Grimes Coachella set that went pear shaped. Way worse than I was expecting. Ok, fuck ups happen, you just stfu and play one track at a time until you get it fixed, hopefully noone will notice. Getting on the mic and explaining what’s wrong for 5 minutes and making screaming noises doesn’t really help

it’s so, so awkward. then to explain later that she’d outsourced her tracklist and couldn’t figure out how to beatmatch because the BPMs were off? talk about showing yourself up. literally the first thing you’d learn as a real DJ

1 Like

https://boomkat.com/products/venus-rising-from-the-sea

Well good this

1 Like

Maybe skip track 3.

2 Likes

Very decent, free to download but chip them a quid

Ah I came here to share that - definitely worth a few quid

Was looking into 80s rollerskating & soundsystems a while back, some interesting tapes & footage out there

This is from same soundsystem, not best quality though

Here’s Saxon Sound at Deptford Rollerball Park in 1983

Killamanjaro at Skateland, October 1982

I’ll see what else I can find…

1 Like

There’s a pretty rare lp called taxi gang at skateland, my mate got a white label of it in his shop, think it sold for about £700. Think I’ve got that right there was some debate as to what it was

Think it was this one. Not a live session but lovely stuff

2 Likes

nice I’ll have a listen later

some discussion here about the various source tracks / dubs etc:
https://www.discogs.com/release/8981443-Prince-Jammy-Black-Music-Dub

2 Likes

MC Conrad RIP

1 Like

My DJ mixer is on its last legs, can anyone recommend a good slim 2 or 3 channel mixer with master monitor option in the headphones as well as the usual cue.

Realise this is a bit niche

Nice one. I was reading reviews of a behringer and lots of comments about the bad sound. Hadn’t really considered that before. I’ve got a really basic Numark at the moment which probably isn’t great.

Was thinking this one but I’ll definitely look into the a&h, cheers

1 Like

I’m down a comparison wormhole now. This guy really rates the analogue sound of the xone but saying the fader curve is weird. Have you noticed that? I tend to do slowish blends rather than chops (when I can be arsed) so a good fade would be nice. Also the layout of the pioneer looks a bit more standard. But I like the idea of a rich analogue sound from the xone. Hmm