Music thread

Have been down a Love Jones wormhole

Cheech and chong basketball jones
A parody of the No. 16 Billboard Hot 100 song “Love Jones” by Brighter Side of Darkness

Also used in the peter sellers film Being There

Personnel

Cheech Marin – Tyrone Shoelaces (voice)
George Harrison – electric guitar
Klaus Voormann – bass guitar
Jim Karstein – drums
Jim Keltner – percussion
Carole King – electric piano
Nicky Hopkins – piano
Tom Scott – saxophone
Billy Preston – organ
Cheerleaders (backing vocalists)
Darlene Love
Fanita James
Jean King
Michelle Phillips
Ronnie Spector

Sold more than the song it was parodying

Rza’s version might be the best

3 Likes

Gojira playing the Olympics opening ceremony apparently!

Fuck yeah

Iconic.

Includes some of that black narcissus @Londonskater put me onto

1 Like

Currently enjoying this on your feed, actually:

1 Like

Ah nice one, i reupped it to my new account then other day

I’ve been meaning to do one of all my late 80s early 90s dance crossover hits on 7", been collecting them for years.

1 Like

After a few false starts and fuck ups here it is, the ultimate late 80s early 90s pop dance crossover mix. A few iffy mixes in there but you try beat matching with 7"s

5 Likes

1 Like

Fucked Up live-streaming the process of writing and recording new music in 1 session. Pretty interesting to see the creative process play out, if you’re into that

https://www.youtube.com/live/yXbITRMg91o?si=AlHrAPRt-_TkOtIp

Jehst appreciation

Ive had early The Prodigy running through my head for about a week so ended up hammering them a bit. Probably more pointless topic worthy but Out of Space with the Kool Keith Stetsasonic sample and Break and Enter :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Just tried to risk a listen to this whilst getting my 1 year old daughter to sleep. Turns out she’s not a fan.

1 Like

On the subject of Jehst, I still listen to this freestyle with Sonny Jim. Could this be the UK equivalent to Big L and Jay Z on Stretch and Bob?

1 Like

Not sure why Prods on this, but new Logic album is sounding pretty good tbf

Portishead’s Dummy turns 30 today.

Me and a few of my friends went to see a showing of the remastered version of the Roseland 1998 gig in the cinedrome tent (featured a talk before hand with Adrian Utley before it).

That was a nice way to spend a Saturday evening.

It also reminded me a lot of my favourite albums came out the year I was born. Pukka.

4 Likes

first i heard of them was on jools holland and then we had the tape on a loop on a roadtrip to Radlands.
good. times.

1 Like

Remember walking around Glastonbury drunk just as they were going on stage. Felt like I’d just stumbled across them accidentally about to play, even though it was on the main stage.

When Dummy came out we had it on loop before during and after a road trip from Suffolk to Newquay.

The geographically challenged person I was didn’t realise where they got their name and my mind was blown when we drove past Bristol on the M5 and saw the signposts.

Drove past it again recently and if I hadn’t have had the family in tow might have been tempted to pop by for a signpost selfie.

3 Likes

ftfy^^

1 Like