Music thread

linkin park announced a new album and new singer yesterday. their fanbase has gone into meltdown because the new singer is female.

i’m not a massive fan myself but my eldest son really likes them. somehow they’ve just announced a small world tour with a gig in London in about 3 week’s time! madness. bet that’s going to go the way of the oasis tickets

That’s pretty understandable because that’s just pushing Trigger’s Broom beyond it’s limits isn’t it?

I think every fanbase has a large group who want their band to make the same album over and over and never change.

I don’t like Metallica’s albums post the black album but I respect that they’re not gonna make AJFA over and over again.

Linkin Park had a fair few options and if they wanted to continue under the same name they needed a new singer. This lady sounds really good doing Chester’s vocals so que sera sera imo

Changing the lead singer is a pretty big deal though.

Trying to think of bands that have done it that I can think of. Mercury Rev were good in the early and late 90s after changing lead vocals.

Erm…

Must be loads I guess.

Oh shit! Pink Floyd I was thinking were naff as fuck post Roger Waters but obviously Syd Barret was the actual original frontman.

Hybrid Theory came out in 2000 which makes me feel a bit ill haha. Can’t say I’ve paid them much attention since I was 13, but if they want to start making music again then fair play, it’s been like 8 years since Chester.

What I’m more interested in, is the now deleted (probably for legal reasons) comment Cedric from Mars Volta left on LP’s announcement, implying that the new singer was not only a Scientologist but that she supported convicted rapist Danny Masterson during his trial…

black sabbath
iron maiden

both successfully changed singers and then eventually went back :smiley: LP don’t have that option though given that Chester is dead

Alice In Chains did quite a good job of replacing a dead vocalist but then Layne Staley was irreplaceable to me so i just don’t listen to their new stuff

1 Like

i saw this on reddit! if this is true (and i have no reason to think it isn’t) then it’s pretty bad. imagine spending all that time trying to find a new singer, announcing a world tour, recording an album and then discovering they’re a mad rape-supporting cultist

1 Like

AC/DC springs to mind.

i quite liked what Velvet Revolver did where its basically guns n roses but with that doyle from stone temple pilots instead of axl.
so yeah, just call it something else.
otherwise you’re just milking the back catologue.

1 Like

Audioslave too.

1 Like

Topically, just been listening to Faith No More.

2 Likes

Black Flag got through a few singers

1 Like

Mike V was the best

2 Likes

I liked it when The Beatles swapped out Paul McCartney for Paul McCartney and thought that nobody would notice.

7 Likes

V. Good :smile:

Actually aren’t the sex pistols gigging at the moment with another singer? Do not back that. And Generation Sex were proper shit with billy idol singing pistols songs

dead kennedys are doing the rounds without jello.
which makes zero sense.

1 Like

For the last 20+ years. I DJed for them one time and they were boring and shit. Jello solo on the other hand, is incendiary.

3 Likes

Funnily enough the YouTube algorithm machine tried to appeal to both 2000’s me and present day middle age Dad me by suggesting a Linkin Park livestream introducing their new, female, singer - Emily Armstrong.

Quite enjoyed it with a couple of beers last night.

1 Like

She’s a good singer and it makes the band interesting for sure but she’s not going to beat these rumours. Reddit detectives are in full force. She apparently tried to distance herself from Danny Masterson but then still follows him on socials. Scientology church lists her as a prominent member. Seems really tone deaf from a band that previously championed the LGBT community and spoke out a lot about sexual abuse

2 Likes

Have to admit it’s all over my head.

1 Like