Music thread

Live update: There’s a Young Marble Giants sample on this album, blimey.

3 Likes

Nice feature on the album here

3 Likes
3 Likes

Been rinsing this recently, great focus music.

I like the bit about never letting listeners settle too deeply into a groove.

I’m certain it’s from a 411. Maybe a Profile from a single-figure issue number.

Could it be an Alkaholiks track?

It’s an instrumental in the video, so not sure… Mo’ Wax years, although possibly not a Mo’ Wax release.

Ah fuck knows if it’s an instrumental. Just thought it might be a case of Madlib referencing an earlier production.

Used to rinse Lootpack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt4A1YNa9IM

Thinking now it was a Spot Check.

Wig worland always gets shout outs from Charlie Bones on his morning NTS show but today got me fired up cos he did a big shout out to Mark Channer too, always good to hear whilst out on the bike!!

2 Likes

Bit late to the party but their score for Les Revenants was pretty good…

RIP SOPHIE

Fuck. This is horrible. What the fuck.

Stuart Braithwaite (of Glasgow-based indie-rock outfit Mogwai) was just on the radio there plugging the new record (which sounds alright) and he got asked if he had any other hobbies, anything to keep him busy during lockdown.

He said he did, but he wasn’t going to say what it was. “It’s not like I’m learning Japanese or anything”, he offered.

So he’s happy to claim noseblunt shove-its in Thrasher, but doesn’t even want to mention skateboarding when it’s Mark Radcliffe asking him? Interesting.

8 Likes

Innit, Sounds like a crazy accident.

Is skateboarding still embarrassing in the mainstream? I have mentioned it to every girl I have spoken to online now i’m single but the conversations don’t seem to last long enough to tell them what latest tricks I have learned. oh well, their loss, i’m sure they’d be turned on by a half cab smithgrind B/S flip out.

3 Likes

You could include a skateboarding photo on tinder these days for bonus points, kind of gone how surfing was deemed ‘sexy’ in the 90s.

There’s a bit of a discussion about music going on in the mental health thread at the moment that reminded me of something that happened a couple of weeks back . I didn’t want to drop this in there as I’d have to say that my life’s pretty good and I’m contented and happy. Despite that fact, I heard this tune for the first time whilst driving. It came on the radio when I was stopped at a red light. I heard maybe a minute of it and it had me in tears before the lights went green. I made it over the junction and just had to pull over and sit there until it was done. Powerful stuff, music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jXHGoaEtmFM
(If you’re feeling in anyway down I’d give it a miss).

3 Likes

Weirdly, earlier I was having a deep convo with a girl mate about music that makes us cry.
There are loads that make me well up and some tracks don’t even have to have any sad elements to it, it could just be a glorious key change, chord sequence, harmony, anything. Some things just tug you and make you gasp.

Builda will like this haha. The girl wanted examples and I gave her a list which included The leanover, life without buildings and Mogwai, travel is dangerous.
The Mogwai track has a vibe anyway but when you realise it’s about the Kursk Sub disaster it takes on a new aspect and it kills me every time.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few. Barber Adagio for Strings, Billie Holiday Strange Fruit, Klaus Nomi The Cold Song (in particularl his final performance of it), Don McClean Vincent are pretty much guaranteed to set me off.I must be getting old :wink: … don’t even get me started on the final couple of pages of The House at Pooh Corner :sob:

2 Likes