Music thread

1 Like

This has been on a skate video right? I’m racking my brains trying to figure out where I know it from.

The new album is really good. There can’t be many guys from his generation to still be putting out relevant, progressive hip hop at this stage in their career.

1 Like

Been really digging this guy the past few days - his new album Anjelitu is so sick

2 Likes

Made me smile this did. Long time ‘fan’ of Aesop Rock too.

1 Like

Jesus christ. Some dystopian ass shit from The Bug again

1 Like

Some shred worthy tunes. Track 1 is that Sabbath 7"

[Mixcloud](Mixcloud

These new Mars Volta represses are really well put together. Triple gatefold. Noice. No doubt the originals will still go for silly money on eBay though.

2 Likes

Ooo that’s one I haven’t heard for a long time.

Never was a fan but I took a copy of that when I worked in the shop and it did indeed sell for a surprising amount several years ago.

I saw The Bug live about 10 years ago, probably more like 15, it was fuckin amazing. AFX was manning the strobe during his set too

2 Likes

Put him on once. Meeting him means I can’t enjoy his music anymore.

2 Likes

Go on. Also a fan and have seen him a couple of times. Seems alright in interviews.

Bummer when that happens

Nothing particularly salacious I guess. I used to run a night that was a DIY independent thing and we put on loads of people you’d broadly categorise as ‘electronic’ over the years. Some went on to be household names. A few already were (when we could afford it).

He was pretty difficult/terse/pushy in the run up to the night. Pushed it on the money front too when we thought we had something agreed, but we bent over backwards to accommodate in terms of fee and his many other requirements. Fair enough in many ways. Later on though prior to the night itself he accidentally forwarded us an email which contained some discussion about screwing a bit more money out of us with someone else on the bill. Not cool.

In person he came across as a generally unpleasant, stroppy Brian (Warrior Queen was lovely though!). Maybe he had something go on at the time. I dunno.

Day or two later it transpired he left some of his gear in the venue. His approach on resolving this was essentially that of a spoilt child, having a tantrum about it via email and threatening us and demanding their return. He accepted no responsibility for walking off without said kit and insinuated we’d engineered the situation somehow, which is pretty difficult considering they were cartridges which he’d left attached to the tonearms of the decks.

Cue ‘do you know how much they’re worth?!’ and ‘I’ve got a Breezeblock session on Radio 1 and if I don’t get those cartridges back in time you’ll regret it’ etc.

I was well up for telling him to go fuck himself by that point but someone involved in the night convinced me otherwise. We went back to the venue (who’d snaffled the extremely expensive high-end cartridges for their own personal use when they’d seen them the next day). We secured their release and my mate couriered them to him at his own cost. All for no thanks whatsoever.

Sorry tldr - you did ask though :grin:. Oh and we lost a ton of money on the night as a blizzard hit and very few people showed up. I don’t blame dubby Kev for that bit tho. Obvs.

4 Likes

Oh man, i’d hate that if that happened to me with an artist I liked.
Who else did you get on that bill, do some clangs man, won’t think bad of you :wink:

Classic pissed-up dickhead behaviour.

Still though, much as you’d expect. Didn’t imagine he’d be putting the local childrens’ home on the guest list or anything.

I saw him when he was doing God, with Godflesh and Killdozer. Too much saxophone. Godflesh were amazing.

1 Like

Yeah Godflesh were sick, used to play Streetcleaner and Pure a lot as a teenager. Reminded me of this song that I use to rinse at the time too…

1 Like

Yes! Always loved God Machine.