Music thread

The suggested stuff on Spotify is what the labels pay them to push, and there’s nothing illegal about it. It isn’t even necessarily based on what you’ve listened to before, it’s based on things like what time of day you tend to listen, how long for and - obviously - who’s got a tour booked that’s passing your area. The notion that it’s this happy little music player that listens to what you’re listening to and helps you out with suggestions is about as realistic as the idea that Facebook is a wholesome place to share thoughts and ideas.

It’s fine as occasional background music but you’re going to get frustrated fast if you expect more from it. It’s not in their interest to be suggestion Tortoise when there’s a new Ed Sheeran remix out.

5 Likes

Having a bit of a clearout, Discogs telling me my copy of Ready to Die on tape is worth £80. Think I paid 1 NZ$ for it.

3 Likes
2 Likes

massive fan of these guys, looking forward to this one

1 Like

I thought as much when I noticed in the Spotify recommendations section it said.

In some cases, commercial considerations may influence our recommendations, but listener satisfaction is our priority.

I was reading that artists can also agree to take receive a reduced amount of royalties in return for being boosted in the algorithm.

Is it true that big money is paid to be featured on some of the big playlists?
I’d also love to know how much Spotify makes from selling all the data they must harvest.

Not even big money, I think it it starts at $500. There are companies that you can pay to get your shit band played because I used to get their spam emails at my old work, presumably because my email had ‘music’ in it.

Even that’s been monetised.

Payola

1 Like
3 Likes

Listen to this far too many times in three last few weeks…

1 Like

I’ve been loving this…Grabbed the album it is from, too.

Thanks!

1 Like

This is so great

1 Like

https://twitter.com/porksmith/status/1435981319784312832?s=21

Pavement tickets on sale today. £44. Glad I don’t care about Pavement.

I do and they can have my money. That seems fairly normal gig-wise these days to me. Seen steeper than that for smaller gigs by (imho) lesser acts.

Was excited for Nick Cave in Sheffield until they went on release and started around the £80+ fees mark. Do one!

First time I was ever stunned by the price of a ticket was when I paid £40 to see Nick Cave. Seems to be at the forefront of expensive tickets.

I was going to go see him in Blackpool tonight but paying £180 for me and the missus plus the strong possibility of bonus covid put me off, mostly the money, though.

Gotta recoup that wallpaper money somehow!

1 Like

And pay for a new bumper.

2 Likes

£44? Fucking bollocks to that.

I went to see Chubby and the Gang and a bunch of NWOBHC bands play at the Grove DIY for free the other week.

2 Likes