Music thread

Growing up I was an unashamedly emo sk8 rat.

Music rotation consisted of Funeral For A Friend, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday… the usual lot.

I only kept listening (still do) to Brand New as their music evolved and matured as I did. I’ve however rediscovered FFAF after Spotify suggesting them on a throwback playlist. Casually Dressed and Hours are still bangers… if you’re into that kind of thing.

TDLR: The emo kid inside me has returned at the age of 31 and a half and I’m not ashamed

4 Likes

They were going fairly cheap a few years ago when the new Elektrons came out but I reckon the MnM and MD are gonna be sought after. I don’t use my MnM that much but use the MachineDrum all the time.
You’d make your money back easily though, you got it when they were pretty low if I remember, around £600-700?

1 Like

Yeah got it for £300 (thanks again :))

https://reverb.com/uk/p/elektron-monomachine-sfx-60-plus-mkii

Is this site legit?! Insane price increase if so. Obviously I’d rather keep it but for that price it’d be hard to say no

Reverb are notoriously over market value. There are huge mark ups on there (specifically guitars but i imagine other gear is the same)

1 Like

Reverb is insane but I wouldn’t be surprised if MnM and MD prices reach their new prices on ebay and whatnot. Maybe have a look on Elektronauts forum, not looked on there for years but i’m sure they have a selling page or something.

£300 though? bargain, I thought you bought for £600.
reckon you could get a grand on ebay if you played it well but I have not been on gear hunting for ages so i’m not up on current prices.

1 Like

Did you u see that poster doing the rounds for that festival in Vegas? Insane lineup if you’re a 30+ former pop punk/emo child - MCR, Paramore, Jimmy Eat World, Bright Eyes, Taking Back Sunday etc

Brand New would definitely have been on it if Jessie hadn’t been a sex pest

Emo kid you say?

3 Likes

8 Likes

Oh cool, you just reminded me of Manchester Orchestra and there’s an album I haven’t heard yet!

2 Likes

Would love to go to that just for the emo goth chicks in their 30’s.

3 Likes

They were hanging up their coats in 2018 anyway. Also, the accusations were debunked as far as I remember.

I only listened to Thursday and TBS out of that ocean of black hair dye

Yeah I had tickets to see them at the O2 but obviously that tour never happened in the end

1 Like

Same, was gutted

1 Like

We had tickets for the Glasgow show, ended up having a great weekend there anyway.

I saw them (i think with @Snurp ) at Alexandra Palace before they toured Science Fiction and by god there were so many aggro dickhead guys there.

Then it came out Jesse was too handsy and they never did their goodbye tour so the one we saw was their final London show.

Incidently Manchester Orchestra were a much nicer band/concert. I wouldnt rush back to see Brand New, particularly as they were screaming every song and just seemed over it all.

I saw them support Biffy Clyro and they were the same. Much heavier than on record but I couldn’t tell if that was just how they played post-Daisy or if they were over it. Think this was just before Science Fiction possibly

Biffy on the other hand, a band I’m not particularly arsed about, were actually really really good live. I was surprised

1 Like

I think they were over it, almost everyone that i heard had seen them said they were just going through the motions. Jesses voice was fucked, he just let the crowd sing most of the main songs then screamed the rest.

I think their last few years were pretty shambolic, forgetting guitar parts and just winging it, amps were all flat out and feeding back and it was noise ratger than playing.

In contrast to Manchester Orchestra who were touring Cope and killed it.

It was Bad Books, manchester orchestra and another band that was basically random members of both mixed up. The bassist was in all three and played solidly for about 2 hours. They were way heavier than the records too but really tight with it

I actually enjoyed them supporting Biffy more than I did at the Ally Pally gig. It was a bit punchier and they were less up themselves because they were only supporting. They did well there.

I’ve seen Manchester Orchestra a few times, once with @BDF and Kevin Devine/Bad Books were there too. They’re always good. And they seem like actually nice people. Really like Kevin Devine.

1 Like

Aw man, Meat Loaf died. I suppose with the life he lived, reaching 74 is quite impressive

RIP