New skate product

Thank you! I will look into it

Can you give us some hypothetical use cases for this tracker?

I mean, if you were having a high air contest, or a fastest ollie contest, or a longest tailslide contest…it could track all that right?

But would it know if I did a frontside tailslide vs backside? Will it be able to understand being flipped or spun? What is it for?

1 Like

Exactly.

3 Likes

No, no and making money from advertisers I imagine

2 Likes

Oh sorry I didn’t read this.

It sounds like it will produce loads of numbers. I feel like skateboarding would be much more fun without it.

1 Like

‘I just need to find out how to get an extra few inches from the data some how, and I’ll be able to land it first go, every time!’

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 16.43.48

2 Likes

The plan is to produce as much as possible indeed, but what do you mean with skateboarding will be much more fun without it? Do you mean that the amount of numbers will ruin it or how do you mean?

About ‘making money’: We are a non-profit organization and our mission is to bring urban sports to a higher level and make it more attractive through the use of knowledge, innovation and technology. Making money is never the aim. Many products have been launched in the past, this is one of the many projects which we are working on at this moment.

I mean skateboarding already has a means of comparing and sharing - it’s called filming. People film or photograph their skating and analyze the footage to see who does what best. It’s fun, but it takes a lot of effort to record, edit, share and so on. The great thing about it though, is that it allows you to see much more than just the tricks. You can see the clothes, the spot, the city, the style.

If it’s just numbers, it’s just numbers. It’s not really relevant outside of a competition situation.

1 Like

I mean, ok…maybe you could end up with a Strava-esque leaderboard of the world’s highest olliers or something. I guess that’s a legitimate ambition…but that’s why I was interested for you to describe some of the ways you imagine it being used.

Well we’ll save you some time. Skateboarding is really big, and it’s going to be in the Olympics. Maybe if you’d thought of this in 1992 it’d be different, but as it is it’d be like me suggesting to football players that they do it on pogo sticks because I presume it’d be more fun.

Maybe there’s an ‘urban sport’ that could benefit from this though, but I don’t know anything about urban sports.

2 Likes

3 Likes

The app has more features than just numbers, maybe the screenshot could give you a better idea:

It really doesn’t. What trick were you doing at 39 km/h?

That is right, urban sports (skating, BMX, breakdance, freerunning) in general is getting more famous, with the Olympics as a result. We are trying to help grow the urban sports scene with what we are capable of. Thank you for your input about the product!

Ahahahahahahahahah I have no clue, it is not my design, I am just a marketing student

1 Like

Oh. So you don’t skate?

1 Like

If this is true, please share some more information about the company you’re working for.

Some cynics might think you were just trying to cash in on something that some businessperson has noticed is currently popular.

As a marketing student you should research why a skateboard has barely changed shape and components since 93 onwards.
Then you should look at all the people who’ve tried to update and redesign it and see where they are now.

I’d even look at the history of skateboarding and it’s marketing .

You’ll see why it is where it is without gimmicks

I do skate, but I did not make the design of the app, that was another collegue.

1 Like

The way you are describing it definitely sounds like the person who dreamed it up was thinking of a strava for skateboards. If this is the case I’d say their market research has been massively flawed / misconceived. As others have said, we don’t measure skateboarding using those kind of metrics, like going for a KOM on a bike clime segment. He/she can’t have asked any experienced skateboarders about the feasibility/demand for such a product, as they would have categorically said not to bother.

2 Likes