New skate product

That is true! But it is my second month working here and the idea of the product was already there. I have to write my thesis about it and how to it could be introduced. I talked to many friends of mine who also skate and they were not that negative as the comments here, so I really appreciate all the comments I get.

A lot of personal trackers incorporate altimeters. That might conceivably help you know how high you’re ollieing or flipping (although you could also just ollie over something and that would tell you)

1 Like

That’s the difference between to pitching it your mum and the public, marketing studies 101.

1 Like

Maybe you’ll be the young hotshot who explains to them that it’s a stupid idea that nobody will want.

And that’s demonstrably provable, based on the amount of other people who’ve had the same idea.

1 Like

But the thing is that 80% of the respons I get on the survey is positive about the product. Only the comments which I read here are negative, so it will be difficult for me to prove them wrong. But I have the idea that many of the people who comment here are experienced skaters, this is the reason why everybody is negative, the younger generation (who just started skating) is very positive about the product. Maybe it will be my task to target on them.

Because people who think its a waste of time wont waste their time filling it out to tell you that.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in knowing what features in particular your positive respondents liked. As I say, I use a Fitbit tracker. I also like new technology in sport generally, if it makes things better or more enjoyable. But at the moment I can’t see a ‘killer feature’ that would make me want to buy one of these

The thing with this forum is the age range and experience.
Many of us here are 30-40s and work in the industry or have worked in the industry and seen it all before.

I have a feeling the app will turn into a top trumps for kids mainly . And for others the novelty will wear off and they crack on skating whilst rewinding their phone footage to see what their doing wrong/right .

1 Like

They don’t know how unworkable it is, and they wouldn’t be able to afford to pay for it if for some reason your version of this was the one that took off. God knows I hope I’m wrong, but this has been thought of and mocked-up again and again.

2 Likes

Guaranteed you love VAR.

3 Likes

Yeah I gave up filling it out because the questions after the one that asks you to rate the app (I rated it low because I wouldn’t use it) then go on to assume you will use it.

So the survey has an inbuilt bias that weeds out anyone who wouldnt use the app.

3 Likes

You cannot quantify skateboarding like other sports or physical activities. It’s way closer to art or music that any sport I think. It will never be conveyed in the Olympics.
Competition has always been a part of skating but it is so varied and subjective that it’s actually impossible to judge it.

2 Likes

You’re consistently throwing your toys out of the pram here over nothing

2 Likes

Well that’s where we disagree isn’t it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, fixed it!

1 Like

Thought I’d have another crack at it.

First question asks you to rate the product, based on some mocked-up screenshots? Nobody can rate a product that doesn’t exist. It says 1 is the lowest and 10 is the highest but it goes from 0 - 10, so 0 would be the lowest.

“Raking in order of importance”

Honestly man, if you can’t be bothered to spend more than a few minutes on some entry-level market research there’s no way you or the people you work for are going to be able to develop, build and market this product. Which is probably a good thing, in terms of saving you time and money.

And the boxes are untickable. Using Chrome on Big Sur.

This product is poor and I am out.

The main reasons until now are to gain more insight into the tricks to improve their performance and to keep track how much they move, so they want to see how much they exercise.

Essentially a skateboard-based workout tracker, I think.
Yes, I can see how that might work. As others have said, it probably won’t help improve your tricks but I imagine it can tell you how much you moved in a session and for how long, and how fast/high you went. I can see that it might work for people who use skating as a workout and want to keep track of their effort.
It’s probably not going to make you a better skater, but it might motivate people to push harder or skate for longer. If there’s a Venn diagram it’s the overlap between people who skate (anywhere from 6 to 60+) and the Fitbit target audience (adults who want to be more active) who are motivated by seeing data on their performance.
I think your key task is going to be quantifying that target audience and making sure that what you offer them gives some kind of advantage over standard activity trackers. You’re always going to get people who hate the idea of your product, bur they’re not your market. Your market does exist, I think - but you need to do the numbers to ensure that there are enough of them.

1 Like