Nine Club

New Will Marshall episode of The Bunt is fucking fantastic

1 Like

Fucking hell Ishod is a great dude.

2 Likes

controversial opinion but i sort of feel like nine club and skateboarding in general should start paying attention properly to braille and/or revive. whether people like it or not they are as much a part of skateboarding nowadays as old brands like girl and vans

every brand has embraced youtube to a greater or lesser extent now. does that not sort of legitimize the youtube brands?

don’t get me wrong, they’re still desperately uncool and clearly aim to younger generation but keeping them at arms length kinda makes the rest of skateboarding seem very elitist (which it obviously is)

edit - kind of missed my whole point here. nine club having andy shrock or aaron kyro on their show would be seismic in terms of the message it sends out. hence me putting this in this thread

Nah. Sod them. They haven’t played by the same rules. Do they even sell things through skate shops or is it all online?

1 Like

Dunno

So why does SLS and berrics get a pass then?

When I was a kid ALL of this shit would’ve seemed so lame - nine club, bunt, sls, berrics, revive. Now kids fully embrace all of that stuff

I think they only get a pass because of the people who set them up originally.

Personally I think they have always been lame. But I’m the type who still doesn’t buy sports shoes to skate in.

3 Likes

Always being devils advocate i’d usually agree with you, they are as much skateboarding as any legit team today but at the same time, they are so fucking shit.
They are calculated passing of as playfull, creepy passing off as friendly, everything is fake geared for YT success. I think if nine club had them on we’d not learn anything. They are all really annoying personalities acting up to appeal to kids and the fact that Kyro is into scientology says it all.
They have their place and that’s fine, good on them, does not mean that the industry needs to acknowledge them. Even though some are jumping on their wagon out of desperation.

2 Likes

They had Weck

Berrics is owned by two scientologists as well. Its an interesting discussion now in 2020 because they’ve been around for ages now and are truly embedded. I wondered if their popularity would wane but its stronger than ever

Again I think it’s really lame but I find the discrepancy in attitude kind of odd. I love Andy Anderson and he seems well respected and embraced by nine club et al

Braille had the entire happy medium crew along with Jaws in a few of their videos, the lines are blurring

2 Likes

Braille and revive?

Should be cancelled along with Berrics.

4 Likes

Lol fair enough. I’m an all or nothing person myself. Most of us would still be skating regardless of popularity of the “sport”

Those stupid companies have their own YouTube outlets, they don’t need to get involved with the grown ups.

Probably haven’t even seen Goldfish and 20 Shot, let alone fucking Video Days.

2 Likes

So Aaron Kyro is @Les_Zeppelin…

2 Likes

I don’t know what era you were in a kid in but why would The Bunt have been lame whenever it was? They’re two skate rats who do their research, get good interviews, are always funny and maintain a good level of shit-talking without being overtly snide but not boringly nice either. I can’t imagine that ever not being a winning formula for skate media.

3 Likes

Because its a lot of talking about the skate industry with no video content. Whilst I love that now I doubt that would’ve interested me back then. Rad was awesome because it was funny and was filled with UK skating

Yes, Revive has built itself up through YouTube, but it seems like most of it is click-bait, and that should be lame in anyone’s book. It’s a race to the bottom.
Skating boards made of glass or whatever challenge they set themselves isn’t really contributing to skateboarding. Most of the kids I knew who were into the brand phased themselves out of skateboarding, so I’m wondering if they really have longevity, or whether they’re taking those entry level skaters.

I’m with you, it’s lame, but it brings a lot of money and people into skateboarding that wouldn’t have been buying core stuff anyway. Maybe some of those kids grow up, keep skating and start buying death decks. Most of them would just quit. Isn’t it a good thing though still?

When I started skating, everyone’s entry board was usually something from the Argos catalogue. It’s a bit like giving them a YouTube channel to legitimise themselves.
I may be clutching at straws there! Whatever. They’re off my radar.

Nah I get you

I think putting the Revive dudes on a podcast whose primary audience is adult/ageing skaters would be a mismatch. Revive are very good at speaking to very young people. How many of your kids are glued to YouTube? Whether it’s toy review videos or whatever. I think Revive have been very savvy in terms of seeing a trend in how young people were engaging with online media and tailored their output for them. I see Revive as the equivalent of something like Termite.

2 Likes