Not Stoked.

had never thought of it that way to be honest but that makes complete sense

1 Like

LELZ

I might steal this for that novel I’m never going to write.

2 Likes

Haha it’s true. They gave us some pills and they fed us too!

1 Like

Joe Hammeke RIP

That sucks, fuck cancer. Lovely write up on Thrasher IG here:

1 Like

in regards to this earlier post, seems it went through >:(

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/politics/ps100-fines-for-begging-spitting-or-riding-quad-bikes-on-public-land-as-council-crackdown-on-anti-social-behaviour-3201991

“Harsher punishments will be introduced for anyone breaching the measures, which are in force from Saturday, May 1, with face fixed penalty fines of £100 – a £25 rise on the current fine of £75.”

“*A ban on skateboards, scooters, bicycles or self-propelled vehicles to be used in a way that would cause damage to property or annoyance to other people in the area.”

along with a bunch of other heinous restrictions - fines for begging/looking through bins, really?

from my understanding, it’s not a city wide thing and these new measures apply only to areas that have a public space protection order on them, which funnily enough the only places i’ve seen them are in the city centre itself - almost like they don’t care about the actual problem and just want to move it out of the publics view. fuckin brilliant.

1 Like

That and the huge hole in council budgets from covid spending. Fucking standard

Shame they couldn’t take the Hull approach and work with skaters than against.

That’s only worked to a point, but has generally been pretty positive. I know Regan has done a lot of work with the council on the skate city thing.

2 Likes

Always tickles me when town / city councils say they’re gonna come down heavy on public urination and defacation yet there’s never any public toilets in order to curb it.

It will be the same deal time and time again never get stopped by a warden never give your name. Eyes in the back of your head. Used to get the occasional hassle from street wardens at urbis and other spots, walk away come back later.

1 Like

I don’t know much about it tbh, just saw a quick vid with Scott Palmer talking about it, and the Goldings skating.

What kind of issues have come up with it?

Regan is a top bloke

He is, I’ve known him since he was about 12 on and off. Been amazing watching him grow up.

From what I know of the skate city thing there was a big buzz at the start, then it all kinda fizzled out a bit. The new music venue that was built a while back is a case in point - Regan was consulted, it was meant to be a skate friendly plaza out front but they ignored some of his recommendations (like the bench blocks have curved edges making them awkward to skate) so ended up as being a bit of a missed opportunity / halfway house. I’ve not been involved though, I’m sure he could give you the full story.

Overall though there is a really good vibe around skating in Hull, loads of new people and groups popping up.

4 Likes

That’s a shame, always tend to feel a sense of missed opportunity about these things, but hopefully it’s something that gets learned from rather than repeated.

Aye. It’s been a positive thing overall, but feels like it could have been more. Councils though innit.

1 Like

Got some tees with my shoe order and they’re shit, barely Primark levels of quality and the sizing is way off compared to the same size I bought last year. Imagine they have had a new supplier or maybe it’s just a defect batch. Hardly a big deal but a PITA as it’ll be a ballache/pricey to send them back.

Maybe give some feedback/send them an email? I had some etnies trousers a few years ago that dyed my entire wash several times. I gave feedback and sent them an email and they gave me a generous store credit.

Yeah have done so, see what happens.

You can contest that, Ive done the same in the past, took a photo of the queue and had the ticket confirmation on my phone so argued. If youve got a load of previous tickets youve bought you can say “Im not a fare dodging scrote, Ive got 200 other tickets from when Ive been in before, its your fault the machine wasnt working, fuck you im not paying it”

4 Likes

I’ve had that happen a couple of times, they’ll let it go. There’s always some jobsworth at the station drunk on imaginary power. I’ve gone as far as asking them for staff numbers and reporting them. Makes me so mad especially when everyone is clearly just trying to get to work. Also, IVE PAID FOR A FUCKING TICKET AND YOU CAN SEE THAT. Rage.

A couple of times the guy at the ticket office has told me to run for an approaching train, saying I can buy on board. Then the guy never comes and you’re looking guilty when you get to the next station.

4 Likes