Not Stoked.

Welcome to the world of car ownership! Unfortunately this shit happens. Cars are money pits.

Innit. Was due to go out driving sat and sun morn to get some practice in too.

Stocks and shares prices tumbled a LOT last week.

Just leave it, you’ll get Biebel arm gainz

3 Likes

Ha, Missus could barely park it after it went.

Send me a link.

You don’t need to even use a cypto wallet or exchange. You can buy bitcoin and ethereum through Paypal now (if you just want to buy and sell). You just have to register with a form of ID and it takes a few days to be processed.

nb: but you can’t then use your paypal crpto as currency to buy medicines for example from the dodgy web or anything like that. It’s more like you’re investing in it rather than buying it.

2 Likes

Don’t do this. You’re not actually buying bitcoin on there, and you can’t move it elsewhere (or spend it elsewhere). It won’t actually be your bitcoin.

2 Likes

Same with etoro, dont think you actually own the asset there either.

I use coinbase pro, kucoin and binance. Found Kucoin good for getting in early on projects and buying shitcoins.

I’ve made quite good chunks of cash from crypto and gone for the classic technique of just buy stuff and not check it for a really long time, it’ll drive you insane to monitor the fluctuations.

2 Likes

Has anyone got any tips on sources of info for absolute beginners? I’d like to dabble but know nothing. Is there a crypto guide for total idiots?

2 Likes

All this money talk reminded me I put £100 in a ns&i account in 2013. Its still there and not grown in the slightest. :pensive:

1 Like

I’m not sure you need one.

Just imagine that instead of your money displaying in your NatWest app in GBP, it will be held in BTC in the Coinbase app.

You can instantly convert it back to GBP and put it back in NatWest if you so wish or if the price of BTC has gone up and you want to take a little profit.

The only real difference here is that your BTC will go up and down against how much you bought it for. A bank doesn’t do that, it might go up a bit with interest in a savings account but the amount won’t change. Obviously GBP could become worth not as much in exchange for USD but that’s much less volatile thank GBP/BTC.

2 Likes

So it’s as simple as (forgive the dumb question but I’ve never done anything financial), with a normal bank you put in £1k and you might end up with a few quid interest over a few years but you’ll always be able to withdrawn your initial deposit in full.

Whereas with Bitcoin (like with a stocks trade) you buy £1k worth of Bitcoin and if it drops and you withdraw, you might walk away with £400, but if it increases and you withdrawn you might walk away with £1.5k, for example?

That is exactly correct. Which is why you shouldn’t be too worried if it drops in the short term, so long as it goes back up at some point!

If you want to have some kind of strategy regarding taking profits if it hits a certain amount then I’m not the person to talk to. I’d suggest you have some kind of strategy regarding any profit. People just get really annoyed when they sell and make a profit and then it rockets which is a mindset thing, you basically are never making a mistake if you’re taking a profit.

Hindsight is a bitch, nobody can predict the future. ‘I shouldn’t have sold, I would have made x amount more bla bla’. Avoid this mentality at all costs and be happy you made a decision, regardless of what happens.

1 Like

I wonder at what point I’d have bottled it if I’d had a hundred pounds in it from the off?

That’s a really interesting question and one that you should ask yourself before it takes off.

If I buy in now and it starts to do very well I’d consider taking some small profits along the way but the idea for me is to leave it and not touch it like a pension.

There is always the option to sell if I’m completely fucked for cash but that’s why it’s worth having other access to cash and savings to avoid the need to touch it.

If it rockets I would of course take some bits out as it would be stupid to leave so much money in 1 place.

1 Like

What’s the minimum you’d invest? The reason I’m asking is that I want to do something with a tiny, tiny nest egg - its more than I’d want just sat doing nothing in a current account and I’m thinking of options to chuck it in a long term account and forget about it.

Should probably ask this in the finance thread

I mean, I put in £100 to test it out to make sure I knew what I saw doing. I got my £100 back out the same day.

2 Likes

Obviously don’t put it all in!

If anything you’ll understand how it works and might want to put a bit more in later.