Not Stoked.

I’d at the very least get a freeze put on the CC payment.

Yeah cut up the credit card and see if they can defer payment. What card is it? What rate are you paying?

Why are you paying 30 to bank? And 65 for phone? What phone and how far through plan are you?

1 Like

There may be some assistance for Council Tax but I suspect it is just deferment.
Another of the aid packages that is basically creating a debt mountain for when we get back to normal. It’s not really the help it would first seem to be.

I’ve paid attention to what utility companies are doing to help at this time and notice that it isn’t much, even though we are forced to consume more of each utility while being forced to be at home.
Tends to be prepaid customers only who they fleece for 40% more than direct debit customers anyway.

The eviction thing isn’t much help either, they have basically added 1 month to an existing law.
It doesn’t protect anybody that much.
That and if you don’t pay, you will be expected to catch up with what you missed out on at a later date.
If you arrange a repayment period and amount with them after deferring, that’s an option, but there’s nothing saying that if you refuse to pay them that they either a) won’t evict you as soon as they can or b) push up your rent to get arrears out of you.

Sorry that this might not seem super helpful but just sharing what I have understood about the assistance available. It’s not actually that helpful to lots of people.

Replied to wrong person and must add that sorry to hear this Neddy. As if all this isn’t stressful enough in the first place.

Rent is your biggest outgoing, there should be a break clause in your contract at 3 or 6 months, dig it out, have a read through it and see what it says, and then start looking for somewhere massively cheaper. You have no idea how long this situation will last so you need to get rid of your biggest outgoings first.

If you have a break clause and also find somewhere else you could use this as leverage in asking your landlord to reconsider. Although sounds like moving somewhere cheaper is your best bet. Rental market is flooded with Airbnb properties at the moment so prices will crash.

1 Like

Not heard that there is but if they are using your rent to pay their mortgage, either on the property in which they live or the one you are in, they can get relief on mortgage repayments which they could / should pass onto you.

3 Likes

£30 is for overdraft charges. Long.

Have offered them £600 I could do £670 at most.

There isn’t really anywhere cheaper round here.

I’d phone your credit card company and explain the situation. Perhaps you could go through an income expenditure form and negotiate a lower monthly sum, say £10 or something.

You could possible transfer your balance to a 0% card. At least you won’t have interest on it, should soften the blow.

This situation will be changing daily nedders, I guarantee in about a month’s time there will be a load

2 Likes

Or worse, you don’t pay them for 3 months as they can’t evict you AND you leave without paying.

2 Likes

Applies to London but am sure it will affect the entire country. No one is travelling, no one is holidaying.

https://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/renting/london-airbnb-rental-homes-rent-reductions-coronavirus-a137721.html

1 Like

I would have gone even lower, so the remainder could be put towards a deposit on a new place.

You were more than reasonable and actively tried not to fuck anyone over, he’s not paying you the same regard. You’d save a fair whack if you paid nothing for 3 months…

4 Likes

I could at a push do £670, leaves a £155 shortfall. My tenancy ends 30th September. My deposit is £950 so would cover the shortfall for every month until my tenancy ends.

1 Like

Take me to court? I don’t want to go to court.

They have been sound up until this.

I’ve offered £600 see what they come back with. I don’t want to screw anyone, I’m still getting some money. I’ll see what they say to that – then I’ll offer £670 and they can take arrears from my deposit.

But afterwards they can.

I mean £670 and taking my deposit is fine as they won’t be left out of pocket at all in the end.

This sounds good. You don’t really have any other option. Accepting the offer is the logical thing to do.

IMO you have to put court or evictions out of your mind while this is all happening. I guarantee it’s gonna happen to a shitload more people.

3 Likes

Thats true. I wouldn’t want to do that.

@Snurp yer either way, they are not out of pocket by even 1p by the end of September. I’m leaving then anyway.

They possibly aren’t registered as landlords and probably don’t have a buy-to-let mortgage, so they should be able to take a mortgage break. That said if they do have a buy-to-let their bank will be able to give them a break, this is a textbook reason for it.

2 Likes

But if they don’t have a mortgage this is their income.

Ah, got you. If the mortgage is paid then this is bonus money for them then. If they’re paying their own mortgage they can take a break from that one unless they’re total bastards. If they aren’t helping out here I’d be looking to relocate anyway.