Podcasts worth listening to

Sums up podcasts in general for me. I wish I could listen to podcasts but I can’t. Maybe if I had a commute or something. As soon as anybody says something slightly stupid, which is always, what’s the point in listening? The whole rest of it could just be bullshit too.

I can only listen to them if walking the dog or in the supermarket. I also can’t listen to skateboarding stuff at all. I will listen to Farran give a shoutout though. Does anyone still have the Tony Hawk N26 mention anywhere?

Everyone on Vent City tries way too hard to bring high brow academia to skateboarding chat, instant turn off for me. Stuff like this and Pushing Boarders is unbearable to listen to.

Whoever the main writer for Quartersnacks is and contributor to the site ‘Frozen in Carbonite’ (also on Mostly Skateboarding podcast) are the only people within skateboarding currently (anon. obviously whilst he was writing) who manage to show their intelligence and make insightful observations on the culture whilst also keeping it light hearted and not bogged down in pretentiousness.

Something like this piece for example: Meet Me At The Mall — The Skateable History of Allen Street | Quartersnacks

Not saying there aren’t other good skateboarding writers but just think these two make some effort to give an academic air

3 Likes

Talking absolute rubbish. Clearly, if you think Anon isn’t doing anything now.

Skateboard writing? Point me to where if so, as I’m unaware

Do you look at magazines, or just the internet?

I do when I can but not as much as I’d like.

I’ve seen now he wrote the Rave article in Free recently, but didn’t think he was regularly writing articles

You know I stepped back on this forum, stopped being so much of a Michael Fabricant. Be nice if you’d not be such a dickhead to me

1 Like

That’s a shame. Skateboard magazines are great.

You’ll have missed his big Mike Manzoori interview in Free too. Amongst loads more all over the place.

I’m talking about articles not interviews. I know he does (great) interviews

Cheers for the nice words Haven.
Always a pleasure to see you posting.

I mainly do interviews these days as I no longer have the free time to write anything denser due to kids/job/etc.

2 Likes

Don’t even know who that is but I do know this will be better than the 9 club.

!!!

4 Likes

Bob Mortimer was on Off Menu this week, and was as good as you would expect him to be.

3 Likes

Surprisingly listenable for a 21 year old. Some great yarns.

Let it not be forgetten that this is genuinely one of the best parts of the last decade.

2 Likes

“Do you ever just hang out at bridal shops?

Me neither.”

Been listening to these , really good listens and some mad situations people are in.

The pizza episode is nuts .

2 Likes

9 Likes

That Looking Sideways with @anonymity, (posted above by @Frasersnacks), was a very entertaining listen. Well worth your time.

4 Likes

Ah rad gonna listen to that tomorrow. Ta.

1 Like

Just spent a very pleasurable couple of hours listening to @anonymity. There was so much good stuff in there, and although I’ve never listened to Looking Sideways before I really rate the interviewer. One thing that I’d like to follow up on in particular: which rail did Jimmy Boyes do in Plymouth?

I know from experience that teaching doesn’t leave much time for anything else - but I’d definitely subscribe to the AnonCast. The Anti-Crob. Ep.1 - Mike Wright. Please.

Stoked on getting Anon & Magee in-depth podcast in the last month or so. Two of the most influential people in skateboarding to 15 year old me.

11 Likes