Pointless Topics

Little Timmy invited a load of strangers round our place for the rabbits birthday party and we didn’t have the heart to tell him we shouldn’t have a load of strangers around for the rabbits birthday party and we also thought it would be a really good idea to invite a load strangers into our house for the rabbits birthday party. We had to have my mums funeral played to us on skype… But the rabbits birthday party went well.

Have Uniqlo stopped selling denim? Can’t see any on the UK online store

I don’t know about denim but I wanted to see what check shirts they had yesterday and there were none on their UK site.

Has anyone ever had that weird coincidence where you read something at the same time as hearing the word? It keeps happening to me and it’s becoming really noticeable - like, more than once a day, every day levels of noticeable.

I was just scrolling though twitter and saw a photo of a guy in a lidl uniform at the exact moment the TV said Lidl. I’m going to have to start keeping track of them because it’s actually starting to freak me out. The chances of these coincidences happening must be minute

1 Like

Ha the glitches.

I get that when I’m listening to the radio and infront of me i see something I just heard.

Also

I get that when I pick up my phone and the time is 2.22 or 3.33

This is the freakiest

Everything in the 4’s

1 Like

Aka synchronicity - Synchronicity - Wikipedia

Though the case you’re describing could possibly happen more often these days with targetted ads, Alexa, etc.

1 Like

The time one does me too.

1 Like

I got the time thing a lot about 7 years ago when I’d just moved to London. I remember it distinctly because I’d just started a new job so it was a busy time in my life and for like a year it seemed every time I looked st the the phone it would be 22.22 or 09.09.

EDIT. Shit, i just noticed the battery haha

1 Like

I’m glad there’s a term for it, that’s interesting. Not sure why they’re becoming more noticeable recently – maybe something to do with lockdown and my brain focusing on different stuff/looking for things to engage with

That makes me think of this vaguely interesting thing:

I always look at the clock at 808 in the morning. I used to wake up often and look at the clock at 3.16.
messages ha.
But yeah, they happen all the time.

I always seem to check my phone at 4.20 and I don’t even smoke weed.

What's the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon? | HowStuffWorks

Aka Confirmation bias. Say if you buy an expensive new bike, like a Bianchi, or a new red Tesla or your lady says she’s pregnant, it seems like you notice a load more Bianchi bikes, Teslas or pregnant women all of a sudden. Your subconcious just notices these things a little more, even though they were always there.

3 Likes

Thats a different concept to the above though right? With the Lidl example, it’s not that i’m now more aware of Lidl overall (and my brain is looking out for it), it’s that my brain becomes aware of two synchronised mentions of Lidl at exactly the same moment.

Mmmmmmm

1 Like

IMG_5414.PNG

Ha would you believe it !

2 Likes

There’s a nearly limitless amount of times you don’t notice things like this though. It’s to do with the mathematics of big numbers.

I think a classic example is when you randomly think of someone and then the phone rings and it’s them.

There’s been loads of other times when you thought of them and when they rang you but you will only think it’s remarkable when the two things happen at the same time.

1 Like

Stephen Fry once made a point about how you’ll be thinking about somebody, and they’ll phone later that day, out the blue, and it seems extraordinary but it’s really not. It’s just that you think about so much stuff and so many people without really realising it, so inevitably things will match up and you’ll attach unnecessary significance to it.

5 Likes

Haha snap. What a coincidence.