Pointless Topics

In the run up to the 94 World Cup in the USA, broadcasters and advertisers were frothing with rage that the games wouldn’t be stopped for ad breaks.

Yeah I can imagine. I was used to watching football and rugby so couldnt understand why every 2 minutes itd stop. Theres basically two squads per team playing right? Offensive and Defensive and they swap depending on the direction of play?

I’ve seen that now, still more people than you’d expect in there but not as terrible as I’d first thought.

It’s all very serious so didn’t want to ask in there but what is the point of the uk skate video list?

2 Likes

Nerdery

2 Likes

Ah cool.
When it’s complete I want to start one on people called Dave.

Please don’t, I’ll have to relive some moments that I really want to forget…

Sml_Talk on insta is doing a ‘greatest video part of all time’ bracket in their stories. Controversial but canon.

Thought I’d post it here for all non insta types as some of these brackets are insanely difficult. Reynolds vs Cardiel. Jamie Thomas vs PJL.

Obviously, the correct answer is PJLWHL

1 Like

assume you mean wednesday here…

There are some tough calls in there. I could see it coming down to PJLWHL vs Gonz Video Days
TK - Atalantic Drift vs Cardiel Sight Unseen

Personally I’d take PJ over Gonz and TK over Cards then give it to PJ (I think)

It’s really hard to be objective and not just go for your favourite skater. For example, the left bracket I probably end up with Rowley vs MJ and Hsu vs Reynolds. But to do that I have to ask is Hsu’s part actually better than Bobs Dreamland part? In reality, no. But I’m voting for Hsu anyway.

Eventually I end up with Rowley vs Reynolds and then Rowley vs PJ.

And then PJ wins.

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean. It’s good to think it through though “am i picking it cause its better or because Heath” kind of thing. Either way I think for tricks, style, impact, variety and pretty much every other metric you’ve got to go with PJ though right?

Massive clean technical lines, stairs, fuck around tricks, super difficult tricks, dicking about on a vert ramp flip and switch flips, all in a local shop video and he was virtually unknown too

1 Like

I’d say PJ had a bigger impact coming out of nowhere though, Gonz was already established as a name when Video Days dropped

3 Likes

Yeah, plus its best video part anyway. Not best full length (which would be a whole other kettle of angry fish)

Yeah, it’s about the tricks he doesn’t do.

[/ jazz jokes ]

1 Like

Gonz and Coltrane is an unarguable truth.

2 Likes

I get chills just hearing the piano intro.

2 Likes

Creativity is all subjective too, there’ll never be a consensus. I can’t say how VideoDays changed perceptions because I started skating after it had been released. I remember hearing about PJ Ladd and reading about it in magazines at the time though and how pros felt like jacking it in because an amateur in a shop video basically blew the doors off.

You’re right though, its apples and oranges comparing him to Gonz. That said, we’re on a skate forum and its what we’re meant to be doing

3 Likes

PJ all day long

2 Likes

PJ isn’t my favourite skater but that part is 100% my favourite part. And objectively the best. I can’t even think of another part that comes close

5 Likes