Quartersnacks - Best Parts and Videos, 2010-2019

Same. No Nyjah fan but that part was utterly mad.

I was just trying to think of progressive skate parts that represented levelling up. It’s hard enough even with such strict criteria. If you open the criteria to outfits, style, music, editing, etc… it gets even harder and more subjective.

The craziest thing to contemplate is which parts were the most influential of the 2010s…that opens up a truly awful can of worms. Bear in mind Braille have more than twice the subscribers that Thrasher has on Youtube.

I haven’t paid much attention to skate videos since fully flared.

The only people of the top of my head that have blown my mind recently are trivago lemons, nigel, shane O’Neill and marc suits-you and this tiny Japanese kids that skates bowls. Does lots of blunt flips and 540s with kid style but it’s so tech you can’t help but be amazed.

Whatever they’ve done. All them big parts.

You’ve got to remember that all this is subjective and someone could think that till death is one of the best parts of the past decade, it might not be to you but its not got to have ‘progressed’ anything to make it one of the best to someone.
I wouldn’t say that Austyn Gillete has necessarily progressed anything, hes good but I don’t he’s really brought anything new to the table/pushed a certain type of skating (I also can’t look at him without thinking of his weird Kermit the frog singing voice anymore).
ultimateLAD makes a good point about using such criteria and that Braille/Revive/some other youtube stuff have really carved their own path in skateboarding but I couldn’t name a single part that any of those people have put out, if they even have.

1 Like

Watchability wasn’t in my mind at all when I was thinking about it. If it was I’d have chosen parts by Tom Asta, Tiago Lemos, Busenitz, or whatever. None have parts that represent the 2010s in my mind though…nice as they are. Maybe Tiago but which part?

Anyway yeah this is kind of what I meant when I said I would be interested to hear how people could argue that Luan, Shane O’Neill and Nyjah hadn’t put out the best footage of the 2010s.

Something that popped into my mind as I was writing this was how sick that Bastien half cab flip in cab flip out was in his Jart part. Watched it again and his last three tricks are insane. So you have parts like that which are totally overlooked, you have Miles Silvas, Diego Najera, Louie Lopez, Evan Smith, so many insane skaters who are pushing boundaries and yet you argue that Dylan Rieder in Cherry is progressive? It makes no sense to me and nor do your justifications because none of the things you mention are actually progressive in the slightest -

Dylan Rieder ‘helped instigate a general cultural sway towards how things are done rather than what is being done’ What? Tom Penny.

Austyn ‘was popping and properly sliding frontside noseslide 270s a good few years before everyone was slappying into them’. What? Karl Watson.

Crocket ‘is certainly relative to skateboarding’s progression as a no longer California-centric culture over the last decade’. What? Just a straight What? on this one.

Anyway, I suspect the Quartersnacks audience will vote for an educated skater’s choice of best parts and videos not Nyjah or Braille…but I just thought it was interesting to note the distinction between what we might passionately feel is best and what is objectively best.

‘It was barely watchable but it’s the best thing ever’ … I wouldn’t watch a film on your recommendation then. I think you’re mistaking someone being able to prove whats possible on a board with pushing/influencing skating. You have taken it down to a purely sports level, points scoring system. Forgetting that style and tricks matter. You might be the best guitar player ever, it doesn’t mean anyones going to buy your album, because the songs might suck still.
Your rating in a poll about video parts. That means, the song, the edit, the tricks, the skaters style. It has to be based on watchability ffs! A video part you’d re-watch again and again!
Are skaters that have done the biggest and the hardest tricks been the most influential skaters in it’s history? Sure they’ll always get a name check when talking about certain things but is that what the kids are out doing in the streets, buying, wearing their shit and trying to be them? That is a skater with real influence on skateboarding.

1 Like

I explained my reasoning. I’m not mistaking anything.

It’s easy to get trapped in your own little bubble. Particularly if you’re connected to the skateboard industry in any way. Nyjah reaches millions of kids all around the world. So does Sheckler. Luan is massive in Brazil. Bam probably had more influence than all of them put together. Tony Hawk is still one of the biggest influencers around the world in skateboarding. Ther biggest selling 2010s shoe was Stefan Janoski’s and he was barely active through the decade.

Crazy times sure, but it’s funny when you get people totally overlooking the contribution of some of the key figures in skateboarding.

As you were.

No doubt they’ve had some degree of influence but that doesn’t mean it is a good or respectable influence

Well that’s subjective.

I watched the Nyjah Fade to black part a lot of times. I love watching people chomp massive handrails and the fact that he wore whatever weird outfits didn’t take away the fact that he was doing some crazy stuff (also loved that it was a Metallica song as amusing as Farran found it).
I don’t even know who ‘the kids’ are into/trying to emulate these days as I’m out of touch wiv da yoof. But I see all kinds of styles mixed up clothing and trick wise now I think instagram has just mixed everything up and I’m not sure kids are even too bothered about full parts anymore

What would you say a ‘respectable influence’ is??

I watched that Nyjah part once. It was impressive but it did nothing for me so I forgot about it and moved on. Of course some younger peeps would have had their mind blown and may have ordered some leggings before Nyjah did his ender.

Ishod, GT, Suciu… basically most of the people named in this thread

Inside of skateboarding, I don’t think Sheckler has had a real influence in skateboarding at any time for one. Tony Hawk hasn’t been relevant in skating since the vert glory days really. Bam was never held aloft as anything amazing but a half decent skater within skateboarding. I think you’re confusing insta likes and stuff they’ve done outside of skateboarding here. Do you think Tony Hawk is shifting 4.7m units of his shoes and boards a year?

But what would be the definition of respectable?

Not sure what world you live in, but in my world Tony Hawk has the most viewed Youtube skateboarding video on the planet, is the only skateboarder in the world who will receive local and national press when he visits a country and of course, as we all know, he designed the skateboard emoji.

I haven’t left planet skateboarding, unlike you. All those things you listed mean fuck all in the skateboarding world. Why does anything you just listed matter within skateboarding it’s self? Skating, on a board.

Pushing skateboarding in a tasteful, stylish way and not kooking it

Obviously subjective but I think the majority of people who’ve been skating for 5+ years with a genuine love for it would have a certain level of agreement on who are the greats with most influence.

As voodoo said above the ones you named are popular outside of skating to a greater extent than in it

You’re probabaly trolling here but he was in a videogame and a household name. Of course any YouTube vid with his name is gonna rack up far more views and be shared by more casual skate ‘fans’ and people who grew up playing the games and no longer skate

I genuinely do not understand how you can view skateboarding in such narrow terms. The skateboarding world you are talking about is a world within a world.

I can judge on whatever terms I want. I know what I like, just because there is another ‘world’ as you put doesn’t mean I like or give a toss about it