Reynolds off emerica

I quite like the blue ones… not the sock bit though.

I own the Koston sock thingies. XT version. Very inflexible, would not recommend. Just a sucker for shoe tech.

1 Like

So it begins.

Yep, that approach makes Emerica show they have class.

And, I for one think Vans will find it hard, if not impossible to rebuild that same level of “meaning” or partnership that Emerica and Reynolds had for the past 20 years. You think of Emerica, you think of Andrew Reynolds. Think of Reynolds, you think of Emerica.

Or it’s skateboarding’s “concious uncoupling”.

2 Likes

well he’s already put out more footage than most of the other big names that moved to the big shoe brands

He has 4 tricks in a shop vid that came out yesterday, wearing Vans.
Has MJ filmed 4 tricks since he got on adidas in 2016?

2 Likes

I counted 5 (& 2 missed) in this…

Haha! That’s 5 landed tricks and out of those 5, there’s 3 I can do first go pretty much any time I skate, and I’m not exactly good, interesting or special on a skateboard.
I did like the nosegrind to lipslide fakie though.

I was a huge fan of MJ until he started being that weird guy. I still watch his Man Down part regularly and pretend I don’t know what piece of shit he has turned into.

1 Like

Best way to be really, doesn’t really look like they’ll give him any more shoes either, pretty sure every one ended up on the sale racks. I never saw him as the sort who would stop putting out footage, it’s not like he was reliant on chucking himself down big stuff either. Shame.

Sad day imo, Reynolds has a huge legacy on Emerica, his part in Stay Gold is one of the best of all time, and he skated all his most iconic parts in Emericas. It’s gonna kill Emerica the same way that Koston leaving eS killed eS (i know it’s back but you know what i mean), it’s like Jordan leaving Nike. Seen a few clips of him in Vans and it just looks odd for some reason.

5 Likes

It does.
So strange how that aesthetic can feel so odd.

It just doesn’t suit him very well, not like say, AVE, Vans definitely suit him.

1 Like

It’s funny, but I thought ave suited DC. But maybe he can make anything work.

1 Like

AVE radically changed up his image though didn’t he, his DC part demonstrated the change quite well. Can’t see Reynolds doing that even if he does dress slightly differently now.

MJ must have some personal stuff going on that we the public aren’t privy to. I Know a lot of life happens in 10 years but going from 3 parts to 3 tricks is a considerable jump.

I rewatched his Pretty Sweet part again last week and it was beautiful

2 Likes

Maybe that’s what is going to seem hard to adjust to, if Reynolds undergoes an image change.
Seems a bit late.
If nothing much changes other than the shoes on his feet, it still is something of an image shift.

Sounds like MJ underwent a bit of a ‘mid life pro skater crisis’. Maybe he realised he’s past his peak and the thought of delivering the same kind of output that people are used to is incredibly difficult and emotionally/physically draining. Maybe he’s just dealing with it his way, and he just comes across as a bit of a bell.

Maybe he negotiated his contract so he is not obliged to output what we are used to. And why should he? We’ve learnt to expect amazing things from him, the pressure must be huge.

Not sure you can play that card given that his Pretty Sweet section was (relatively!) short and mellow.

Though it’s not like he was just cruising either, tricks like front blunt tre out aren’t easy by any stretch

that part was neither short nor mellow! It was the best part in the video and it was heavy!