Stoked!

Went to a Brazilian steakhouse last night and ate so so so much meat. I was worried I might not get my moneys worth but definitely did. Felt rank for a couple of hours afterwards though until I did a shit that i probably should have registered, not sure if it was better to declare a birth or a death though

7 Likes

Look at this ancient historical artifact

4 Likes

6 Likes

done

big up bob

3 Likes

So excited mate. Already booked half of Friday off for beers.

2 Likes

what a fucking album

2 Likes

Firehose!

I saw them at the Fulham Greyhound in 1988. Amazing gig.

2 Likes

Just got in from doing (Almost) Go Skate Day in Cardiff. Been out since 11, my throat is fucked from megaphoning all day, I had to unload all the ramps and rails and shit on my own just now and Iā€™m absolutely knackered.

But also stoked. Hence post.

8 Likes

Just watched the whole CSC insta story. Looked like such a fun day! :facepunch:t2::facepunch:t2::facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Just got back from Glastonbury where I saw my little brother perform on the Park stage with Cate le Bon . Last time I saw him play there was on a tiny band stand . Very teary and proud moment seeing him up there and knowing him heā€™ll be on one of the main stages next time.

Not only that but I start a new film tomorrow and doing the usual checking all the contracts to find my boss has made me a senior prop maker and put me on the senior rate . The highest level before running/supervising a Dept .
Iā€™m absolutely buzzing because even tho Iā€™ve been in tv and film game for ages in art dept/construction (low budget) , September was my first official job in a prop making/modelling dept for major films and big budgets drama/series and in less than a year Iā€™ve made it to senior level .
Stoked

32 Likes

Prop maker sounds like an actual dream job, no idea what itā€™s actually like, though.

Well itā€™s certainly for the multi skilled , you pretty much have to make/fix/change and repair everything from a bespoke chair to control panel on a space ship to converting a 1950ā€™s Chevy van into a flying mail van .
As a kid Iā€™ve always been making and fixing stuff as well as creating so film prop making have been a goal especially thanks to Star Wars . Itā€™s always different. But itā€™s fast pace and high skill levels otherwise youā€™re replaced easily.
Itā€™s never too late either to get into . We have people who have had a full career change ( chef , paramedic etc) who are prop making .
Itā€™s a good crew too, geeks , nerds introverts, skaters etc. defo no builder/geezer mentality

14 Likes

Gassed that your so gassed on your job.

Also mad props to your brother.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read about how gnarly the SNL prop dept is, basically can get a set ready in a few hours and it seems really tough. Sounds super rewarding, stoked for you - for both points!

1 Like

Yeah live TV entertainment recordings are a whole different ball game and is what I started working on 18 years ago with game shows, reality tv shows etc.

that set up is completely different to film and drama . Youā€™ll have a small prop dept ( not the same as prop making) and 3 or 4 person art dept working together who will make ,build , paint and move everything after non stop rehearsals to make sure it is all ready during commercial breaks or VTā€™s ( pre reordered segment) . Itā€™s usually much longer hours and lower pay .
Most film/drama prop makers wonā€™t have done any of this and aimed straight for the films.

1 Like

Stoked on visiting Manchester. Skated the new DIY spot with loads of locals, went to a little RAD magazine show, saw people I havenā€™t seen in twenty years, got steaming with Joe Gavin. Only negative is I didnā€™t land the trick I wanted to do. Want to go back and do it but I donā€™t think the hangover and schedule will allow it.

18 Likes

Whats was the Rad mag event (and how long is it on for)?
Sounds cool

I donā€™t think itā€™s open to the public at this stage but there seemed to be some plans to do that further down the line. It was just a selection of scans/prints from the mag. Mackey said they might try and tailor it to specific cities by digging out relevant photos from the archives. Could be pretty sick.

2 Likes

TEN approved for skatepark 10th anniversary event Iā€™ve been sorting for a while, will post thread tomorrow :blush: