Stoked!

He’s fucking cool man.
Gave my kid a load of strawberry Insane stickers last summer when I saw him. She was super hyped.

Ged Wells is a true UK original/pioneer. He occupies the space between Wurzel and Mouly kind of. ‘Technical’ before people really expressed that idea outside of freestyle.

This photo is probably 1985 ish judging on the boards. Very mental.

RAD cover from the same session - I was out on timings - cover is 87. Still mental for the time though.

And an Insane ad because why not?

10 Likes

I still link Ged with crack nollies and I do those off anything I can find. I still knock out the odd ‘this thing’ too, (fakie to forwards wallride/ wall jam) - a couple of his RAD how-to’s iirc. I can’t say I do a lot of bone-ups these days though :wink:

4 Likes

With you: crack nollies (Chinese Ollies?) are one the most enjoyable tricks and I attribute my awareness of them entirely to Ged. Likewise slappies where you lift the back truck first.

7 Likes

I’d forgotten about those slappies. I did those quite a bit back in the 80’s. I I bought a few FBCC zines off him bitd too. Rocked Insane strawberry and twisted teddy long sleeves for a bit - loved those. I’ll have to dust those slappies off next curb sesh.

2 Likes

Same here for both.

2 Likes

‘We’ settled on pressure o/nollies back in the day, post chinese ollies and once noses had become big enough to allow ollies. We was about 5 of us :rofl:

Yeah, Ged is a legend.

I’ll edit on the basis that I deep down think that might be from RAD or Skateboard!

2 Likes

Crack nollies lead to being able to do good nose bumps.

3 Likes

Same here, still do crack nollies because of that sequence. I used to draw a good insane turtle from memory

3 Likes

And of course there were those ‘I knew Ged before he was famous’ stickers doing the rounds.

I’m searching my brain here but there was a deck shaping article in Rad, I’m thinking Aug/Sept 92 ish and some dude (not Jed but maybe some London head and weirdly Elton Whybrow comes to mind for an unknown reason) had reshaped an old deck, sprayed it white and stuck a strawberry sticker in the wheelwell area. I fucking loved the look of that and it’s influenced my taste in decks since.
If anyone remembers, was that an Insane sticker?

2 Likes

I think it was Matt Stewart and yes, it was an Insane strawberry sticker.

1 Like

Will do man, my fucked knee might be able to handle a mellow mini like that.

1 Like

cool, nice one!
Would love to see that again. I do remember the shape was a little janky but the look of white finish was rad.
Ged, send me a sticker mate! I really want to make my next deck the same! ha

1 Like
1 Like

ACE!
nice one

Edit: ordered.

Someone was giving away a heap of random stuff on a local Facebook group, in amongst it all was a set of Bones Rough Riders. Managed to score them and can now bring my second polariser back to life.

4 Likes

There was that period where Matt Dawson was in RAD a lot riding those twisted teddy boards - I was surprised Insane didn’t blow up more back then. I think it’s pretty massive in Japan though

1 Like

Matt was actually offered a board on Insane. Interesting story, what happened…

2 Likes

Are you ever going to tell any or just make it known that you are the man? :wink:

On the ferry from Ardrossan to Arran, the sun is out, happy days…

5 Likes