Stoked!

Finished the truck I’ve been making in Blender. Well, finished ish. Needs better materials, and I want to build a ‘ground to the axle’ version.

2 Likes

Bushings need a bit more diameter, but otherwise good job on modelling. I absolutely suck at it, despite the amount of 3D I do. What’s your workflow?
Good use of displacement channels in the materials should help you out - I use Redshift a fair bit, it’s savage for that kind of photo-real materials and lighting.

Congrats @Spanky and @anon3368876

My second is almost here. Due in a couple of weeks. Also have a step son in the mix. Not sure how I’m going to cope with a 6 year old, a 5 year old and a new born. :weary:

3 Likes

Them being a bit older definitely helps. Our eldest was 6 when we had our second and it meant he was fairly understanding, helpful even. Now that they’re 2 and 8 it’s a different story though

The hanger could probably do with a bit more heft too, but I’m ready to move on to something different now.

It’s all poly modelled and textured in Blender (apart from the threaded bits which are a handy plug in) then rendered out using Cycles. I need to learn a lot more about materials, only just figured out how to apply a UV map which is why there are no Indy logos, they’ll get dropped on as a displace map.

I’ve dabbled with Max for years so I’m not coming in completely cold, only been Blendering a few weeks though. I’m really impressed with it, especially for an open source. I want to play with some of the composting tools at some point too.

1 Like

I’m always impressed with the level of what many Blender enthusiasts put out there, it’s mental. Thing is though, they often find it difficult to get industry jobs purely because Maya, Max & C4D are the standard tools right now.

UV mapping is a game changer for me, still suck at it though! I’ve only dabbled with Cycles 4D (C4D user here), what I’ve investigated was definitely useful and it integrates perfectly with X-Particles as it’s the same developer. Redshift is a total game changer for texturing and whatnot - doing things like schlepping stickers onto boards or trucks becomes super easy. You gotta have beefy GPUs, I’ve got 2 x TitanX and 1x1080Ti and I could always use more… /nerdtalk

Yeah I think if I was trying to break into industry I’d be sticking to Max, but I’m pure fun all the way now. When I was doing it more C4D was a bit of an outlier, it seems to have moved up with the big boys now which is cool. I remember having it on my Amiga many, many moons ago.

My current workstation is definitely not beefy, which is another reason I quite like Blender - it seems a bit less of a resource monster. Slightly. Max was a crashy nightmare for me. Might have to upgrade if I keep playing and don’t get bored and do something else in a few weeks. Which is likely.

Got my mini running today. Its been off the road for 7 years and counting. I still have loads to do to get it road legal, but stoked all the same. Since it came off the road we have got married moved house 4 times and had 2 kids.

6 Likes

How did you get it between houses if it’s not road legal?

Had to pay for someone to transport it. And when I started my current job I made good friends with someone who has a grass track car so got him to move them the last 2 times.

1 Like

Thought I’d posted this already, more Blender work. I’ve done quite a bit more since this render too.

10 Likes

Massive props for not calling an inanimate object ‘she’.

4 Likes

That’s amazing.
Peeped at Blender for logo building and animation for something and I was blown away at the capabilities of it for a freebie.
I’m just a bit too dim and impatient to learn it.

Yeah Blender is mint, it’s like a bunch of multi-thousand pound packages in one for free. And it’s genuinely competitive as well, give or take. I’ve picked it up fairly quickly, but I have used 3dsmax for over 20 years on and off so I’m not going in cold.

Definitely needs some investment to get the most out of it though.

Great lighting and texturing, it looks like a product photo.

1 Like

Bonne de douche my son!

10 Likes

The French love a bit of paperwork. Seemed like we were at a different government office every other week for the first year that we moved to Paris!

Went to Oxford with the little man today. Had a lovely day. He made friends with my mates dog (dog was hesitant last time, he’s a toddler against a Daschund so he might be scary.

Set up a new board. Didn’t like it. Then liked it. Passport 8.125”. Think my last one was a lot steeper concave.
Filmed a shitty clip but haven’t filmed anything in ages so was hyped.

Need to remember to stretch and give my legs a chance to get into the session before trying things. Last few outings would go in expecting to rattle shit out like I was 20, and then I don’t so get frustrated and can’t be arsed to skate anymore. Just need to chill and have a little more patience.

Little man was super good all day, and just waving at everyone down the park, blowing everyone kisses and ‘cheersing’ everyone with his cup. Just made me so happy and proud of him.

Appreciating my happy days and trying to keep positive whilst still in work limbo.

8 Likes

Private beach too?

Yeah nice flex

1 Like