The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

Yep, but that’s when you buy empty likes from a click farm on fiverr.

You can run a page like campaign in fb ads actually but that will put your ad in front of ‘real people’. Never done it myself but it’s the legit way of bumping your page like numbers up if you’re that way inclined.

Fb groups are apparently where the money is at on FB.

1 Like

Or just post good shit.

3 Likes

Or that.

3 Likes

Thanks Les, very insightful. I wasn’t thinking of anything that complex but that’s all good to know. Basically now we get enough interaction on IG organically, people seem to hear about stuff we post enough to not bother paying for anything. But we’re running a few specific things in the summer that we might want to make sure more people know about. I just didn’t want to get stuck under the thumb and have a couple of promoted posts negatively impact our reach in the future. We want to reach people local to the area as it’s just promoting things we’re doing here in the skatepark.

Facebook is a whole different story, we literally get about 3 likes per post on there nobody sees anything, but fuck them Insta does the job.

Shout out to @Les_Zeppelin for being probably the most helpful forumer ever

Big up Les!

7 Likes

So does anyone know much about 301 redirects?

What do you wanna know?

1 Like

How to do them correctly. I have an app in Shopify but it’s asking for path and then target.

Do I use the full old URL and the full new URL.

I change the DNS settings on our domain next week to point from an old Wordpress Store to a new Shopify one.

@navitronic

Probably just the path, although you can just experiment. Just add a test one and check the behaviour

Also I imagine they will validate the expected format or have good documentation

1 Like

Need some computer advice. We need to replace our full suite of macs at work (I’m yet to explain to my managers how much this is going to cost) - currently three 2012 Mac Pro’s which can no longer run up to date iOS/creative cloud. I also need to take into consideration that we’re going to be working split wfh/wfo going forwards.

Anyone here who works with Adobe Creative Suite - other than the Mac Pro’s (as I’ll need to suggest a cheaper option), what set up would you suggest for video and graphics work? I’m thinking MacBook Pro’s and then some external monitors. What about the Mac mini’s? They look interesting but only go up to 16gb ram - would something like premier pro struggle on that?

1 Like

Last time I used video in my old job Mac Book Pro 2018 a can’t remember the RAM but was over 20gb. They were like £3k.

Currently on a 2018 iMac works sweet will check specs when I get into work tomorrow.

Thanks.

My home computer is a 2014 iMac with 16gb ram, 4 core processor and it works fine for messing around in after effects (and what I predominantly need it for which is indesign/photoshop) but the guys at work do much more complex video work which makes me think they’ll need at least 32gb ram to work with.

I’m not a video guy so not really sure.

I’d just get them as much RAM as possible 32 was my old MacBook Pro at previous job. Wasn’t massively complex video but were using 4K files.

You got a budget?

I’ll need to give a few price options - option 1 would be three 2021 Mac Pro’s which would basically be a like for like upgrade of what we have now. But that’s gonna be pushing towards £15k before we even consider monitors so absolutely no way they’ll go for that, especially given the reduced income over the past 16 months.

I reckon three computers and any required monitors for below 8k would be ideal.

1 Like

This is the latest 24” iMac with extra RAM and storage.

Video guy chiming in.

The new Mac M1 chips are supposed to be pretty good. Now saying that, you’re then stuck with whatever upgrades you paid for and that’s it - with a Mac Mini, that’s 8Gb of RAM and up to 512Gb of storage and that’s not enough for a pro working environment.

Now looking at the Macbook Pros, a 16" with the latest and greatest Intel 9 processor, max 64Gb RAM and a 2Tb SSD will set you back about £4800-5000. That will blaze along, but you’ve only got the one drive in there and for video editing, motion design, etc., you need at least 3. Can’t work out if they’re SSDs (about the size of a wallet) or much faster M.2’s (about the size of your thumb). Gotta guess they’re M.2s.

iMacs are limited to 16Gb of RAM and what seems like a fairly weak GPU. Avoid.

Don’t even bother with the Mac Pro. Totally overpriced.

If £15K is your budget for 3 machines, then get looking at PCs. They generally cost about 1/3 the price of a similar specced Mac and will 90% of the time outperform them - however, MBPs tend to beat a Windows laptop, in my experience.

Back in 2012 I dropped £6k on a custom build from Scan in Bolton. It paid for itself within a couple of months and lasted me almost 9 years. My replacement build a couple of months ago cost about the same from a German company - no business with Scan due to Brexit - but this time it’s running an AMD Ryzen 9 5900x processor (kicks the shit out of all Intels), 128Gb RAM (close to unstoppable) and 1 x RTX 3090 GPU for high-end 3D rendering. Windows is on a 512Gb M.2 drive, with a 1Tb for cache/scratch files and a few more SSDs and HDDs in there for shits and giggles.

I got the 5900x which is a 12 core, 3.7 Ghz model over a Threadripper, which is 24/32/64 cores depending on the model as for everything I do, having less cores but a higher clock speed will always get more done and faster, except with CPU 3D rendering. The 5950x is 16 cores, but 3.4Ghz and apparently, in most benchmark tests, the 5900x just about comes out on top. To be honest, I would’ve preferred to get the 16-core version, but it was unavailable at the time.

Right now, the most expensive component will be the GPU. For video editing, you won’t need a top of the line Quadro, yet alone an overpriced RTX 3090 (£2k approx), so you can save a few quid going down to a RTX 3060, or use some older GTX 2080Ti’s or similar.

It’s worth looking at Workstations for Content Creators | Puget Systems as they’re considered the leading authority on what to use in your custom PC, and building a similar spec machine via https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/vengeance-rti - bascially you’re looking at a not fugly gaming machine or what they (Scan) call a graphics PC. Put a few more M.2 drives in there and you’re good to go.

Obviously I can yabber on about this all day, so let me know if you need any further preachings!

6 Likes

Current best bang for your buck with Mac hardware would the latest 27inch intel macs with aftermarket RAM.

It’s a tough time to be buying Macs, if you can hold out for 6-9 months, the next generation of Apple Silicon will likely be amazing.

That’s the annoying thing - they’ve discontinued the 27 inch Mac Pro’s and there’s rumours there’ll be new ones in spring next year - but we can’t wait that long

The latest normal iMacs are as good as the 2017 iMac Pro’s.