The Computer/Software/Marketing Help Thread

Doesn’t that nerdy filming forum still exist? Or is this it now

*edit SkatePerception and yes it’s gone

Don’t h8, m8.

Did I fix that for you?!?

2 Likes

OMG. embrace your inner camera geekery.

I’m kind of curious as to what sort of codec/capturing Mac’s would use to be able to change a DV AVI to MP4 without any transcoding and just swapping containers? I just installed mpeg streamclip on Windows and the demux options are greyed out. Codecs and all that stuff aren’t really my forte but from what I can see the only way to get an mp4 out of mpeg streamclip involves encoding it to mp4, which is exactly what Handbrake would be able to do? Create custom preset in Handbrake, add the files to the queue and set it off which is exactly what I do with all my SD footage as Handbrake offers better deinterlacing options than my editing software.

Apologies if this isn’t really conductive to what you’re trying to do, just curious about it.

2 Likes

It does re-encode? Ok…I didn’t realise that.

But still, the main advantage MpegStreamclip has over handbrake is batch processing.
As I mentioned somewhere above, lining up hundreds of files and having to set export options each time is hours of work.

With MPStreamclip, you drag and drop the lot and set the export filetype once and once only.

doesn’t handbrake have a command line capability for batching up files? In my limited past I am sure I have done this before

assuming we are doing the same thing in mpeg streamclip (import avi, choose export to mp4) then yeah it’s encoding

handbrake neither needs cli or manual export options to do batch processing (that is assuming it’s all same format/res footage which since you said it’s dv im assuming it is). you’d just choose the input folder, add everything to the queue, choose a preset and set it off. i wont lie the user interface/figuring it out is a bit clunky but once you know it, it’s easy and works great.

2 Likes

This was it…the point where I jumped off.

Especially as the re-encoding is 50% of what I need solved. The other part is DV capture to MP4 without splitting files.

I think the best solution is an old Mac running a 32 bit OS.

yeah it’s the one drawback of handbrake, bit of a shitty UI. literally though all you’d do is create a preset for SD footage, do a batch scan, add them all to the queue and set it away.

I think FCP has an ignore timecode breaks option, so could be a shout if Spanky hooks you up with the macbook. I know you mentioned those options don’t work anymore, but maybe if said mbp has an older ver of FCP (or find one online), could work out. Failing that there’s always dubbing the broken timecode to a new tape, but time and cost consuming when it’s 30 of them.

Either way, hope you get it all sorted man.

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah, Old FCP had that function…

Much appreciated with all the help.

Anyone know a simple way I can set up a shared folder between two windows PCs? I have a folder on my work PC that I want to be able to access from home. Not using dropbox, onedrive etc, just being able to access the folder and drag files into it.

Why not dropbox/gdrive/onedrive?

ftp?

You could try Resilo Sync, it’s based on BitTorrent - Resilio Sync - Wikipedia.

I’ve tried what you’re talking about before with no luck. The only ways I can think of doing it without Dropbox, etc. would be with a NAS (as it’s already networked and made for remote sharing) or some public shared folders on your PC in Windows. But that second option would be a clusterfuck for viruses, trojans, etc. The NAS (Synology) works as I could upload from work via a browser to the NAS and have the files available when I got home - if you don’t have that hardware, it’ll cost a fuckload.

Yeah haven’t got anything like that unfortunately.

@dontcomply do you know how to FTP into a PC? I use filezilla for our website but no idea how to set it up for something like that.

@Spanky it’s a very big folder so don’t want to shell out for cloud hosting to just move some files from one PC to another

can’t say i’ve done it myself but it doesn’t look like it’s too hard to setup

Setting up FTP will be a nightmare on a work computer, usually have to have some kind of port forwarding on your router and companies don’t like doing that.

Might be USB stick time

Cheers I’ll try and have a walk through that, otherwise yeah might be a USB job :confused:

Anyone ever dealt with out of sync audio when capturing anything VHS/8MM etc before? I’ve had this issue with a few things I’ve captured recently and it was fine on just another re-capture, but this one file I’ve done just doesn’t want to stay in sync at all.

I’ve used Virtualdub (32 bit) and then Handbrake to try to rectify it, but no joy.

EDIT: Nevermind! I fixed it manually just by unlinking the audio track in Premiere Pro, then cutting seconds off the start and lining it back up to match up with the video.

1 Like