The Contest Thread

Don’t want to be too negative, but surely Sky Browns only involvement is because of her chances with USA and Japan are much slimmer?

Has she been assosciated to the UK proir to this? Visited, have a UK passport ect or is it just by chance of her dads herritage.

On the plus side, I didn’t realise she was behind the almostXskatistan board which is cool.

Yeah, at least with other adopted Brits they either lived here for a substantial period of time or were from a former colony/member of the Commonwealth so you could see their connection. But her dad is English, so it is pretty legit.

But she has appeared on Dancing with the Stars Jr in America:

This feels a bit gross the more you delve into it. Pushy parents? Fame-hungry children?

(Screen?)printed!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu_SOU1gvgt/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=y64ry2xcydgf

(Posting a link to insta… hope this works?)

I wonder if @LA can tell us how it all works? Like can they wear their sponsor clothing or does it have to be sanctioned brand. Surely having to get used to another woodshop’s shape/concave would be a nightmare (unless they just screenprinted a load of the riders’ preferred boards). And then what about shoes? I’d hate to have to ride a brand or shoe I didn’t like. Sorry, ‘perform’ in.

COMPETE.

It’s a COMPETITION to see who can do skateboarding the BEST. And if that 10 year old doesn’t shine in front of millions of TV viewers, she’s in for it. Don’t let the UK down, Sky, it’s very important that you’re better at skateboarding than all those other people, OK?

1 Like

Mom I don’t want a Rip n Dip board I wanted an Olympic Spec deck!

I’ve come to the conclusion that whatever my opinion, skateboarding in the olympics is happening. So I may as well enjoy it. But what got me thinking was that as a skater would we have insider knowledge against the bookies?

For example, say someone who has a trick that defines them, like say Reynolds. If he was in it, it would be easy money to place a bet saying he’d attempt/land a frontside flip at some point. I’m sure there are many flaws in my plan, but a guy can dream.

Live betting should be pretty easy for us, right?

Reading LA’s post above and seeing the team (so far) announced today is a huge relief! The team are preett gnarly, not really what I was exeecting, especially after the BSF team debacle and pizzagate or whatever it was.

So glad to hear the BSF have been defeated - was this a case of “people power”? I saw a great deal of support for the good guys (our lot!) on Insta etc.

I’d genuinely be up for helping in some way!

P.S. I’m a graphic designer and I think the logo is OK. At least from a typographic viewpoint.

2 Likes

Failed Olympic Hopeful ^

1 Like

Decks are sick

1 Like

Thanks Spanky for asking the question. We just got a bunch of boards done for some promotional reasons plus to get the guys to sign them so we can give them out to people at UK Sport, BOA, Sports Minister, and of course have them as prizes for young kids or anyone who is following the journey and excited by it. You know, all that inspirational stuff.

The skaters will of course be on their own boards and wearing their own clothes throughout the qualifiers! There may an element of ‘team kit’ at appearances they do as a result of being publicly funded. The money is from UK Sport’s Aspiration Fund so there will be commitment from Skateboard GB and the funded skaters to use their journey in all of this to try and inspire a new generation and grow participation in Skateboarding.

If one/few/all of them manage to qualify for the Olympics, then all sorts of rules come in. It’s mental but every sport and their athletes has dealt with this before and the two big brands know what’s up. Team GB is adidas so they will be in GB adi kit head to toe at the Games even when skating. The exceptions are ‘technical equipment’ so shoes and boards get a pass - they ride their own. If they win a medal then adi shoes on the podium. adi shoes whilst walking around the athlete village.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

2 Likes

Thank you PD. It is what it is! An NGB isn’t trying to shift gear or even be popular amongst the trendy. We just need it to be recognisable / identifiable.

1 Like

We’re looking for a TM !

Keep an eye out for an application from Stefan and the pubes, although you seem to have scared him into hiding.

He might shave his pubes so nobody recognises him.

1 Like

And rock it as a moustache,

King of the road style

Men’s street is unbeatable, surely? Men’s park tho, Sorgente? Saw him at Simple Session, not that impressed.