The D.I.Y Thread

been meaning to do this for ages but finally bothered last night, didn’t have a wheelbarrow so lined all the mud along the edge to try & make it slightly less bait for the cctv. got a couple insta clips as well :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Always wanted to go there. That’s sick!

1 Like

Such a simple idea with maximum results :muscle:t3: Sick!

2 Likes

hit me up if you ever head down, always down to tick some more forumers off the ‘met irl’ list

1 Like

Rad! Where is that?

Even worse, I swear it’s not that far from me…id rather drive to buszy than go to a park hence I’ve never been there

Edit - yep it’s an hour and ten minutes away from me and I’ve never been. Yet I’ll drive that far to skate a car park. My priorities are fucked

2 Likes

Northampton :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was gonna say Radlands plaza, looks up to the name!

tottenhan

1 Like

Don’t think this has been posted, such a picturesque curb spot. Though sliding down the hill every time to retrieve your board must be a right faff.

Been thinking about DIY spots recently. Are there any good articles/interviews out there that cover the legal issues and the risk of demolition and stuff like that?

Couple of local lads having a laff at some local DIYs.

Curb Spot Newport

M32 Spot Bristol

I can’t believe how much they’ve added to the M32 spot since the last time I was there about 4 years ago. Presumably they must have some kind of agreement with the council or it would have been demolished years ago?

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard, and this is pretty anecdotal, the council don’t like it but the police do.

That would match with what I’ve heard about the use of skate spots in the city centre too…there are some places like College Green in Bristol and Bute Square in Cardiff that the police will move skaters on to if they get complaints about them skating other places.

The council don’t like anything that doesn’t have planning approval. Full stop. It seems like every council is still anti-public space, or at least anti the public actually using public space for anything other than shopping, eating and drinking.

But as far as M32 goes, they’re turning a blind eye to it and allowing it to continue. Which is great, but without official approval it could be closed down or demolished whenever they choose.

I always assumed that Bristol council were behind the DIY spots around the city. Daveside on the bike path keeps growing too

1 Like

I’ve been loving all the footage from here, the perfect spot.

Wasnt the council going to demolish it years ago?
I’m sure I remember seeing it all over socials & 50:50 rallying people to go down and block it from happening?

The council is ok with the m32 spot

That’s 2 different DIY spots in that edit. The first clip with the grassy background is really close to Daveside, under Brunel Way in Ashton Gate/BS3. AFAIK, BMXers started that one by adding concrete to the main bank which has huge chunky rocks on it and is otherwise unusable. Going back about 10 years, a few of us were having meetings with a local councillor about putting a skatepark in somewhere under the motorway in this area and we were told that this particular location, as ideal as it was, was off-limits.

The M32 spot used to be known as the dog shit spot. It was usually full of used condoms, syringes, etc and the channel for the river Frome behind it was a popular dumping ground. It was a completely dead, almost dangerous space before skaters moved in, so I can’t imagine why councillors would be against it, or what it would be replaced with.

Daveside is a little unusual - because it’s on a busy bike lane, the council don’t want any concrete obstacles built on the tarmac, which is why all the construction is linear, along the old loading dock that’s there. The dead site behind the fence is up for development / housing construction soon, it’s going through the planning process now.

Always interested to see how different local and national laws affect DIY skatespots. Bristol’s always had a reputation for relaxed, yet controlled chaos, so it makes sense to me that there’s good DIY builds. Zero DIYs happening over here in Ireland. I think a lot of it is down to different trespassing or ownership laws, along with local councillors being able to think in the long term about what something like this entails.

What’s the story with that Tottenham DIY spot? Was it ever legitimised by the local council? Are they happy to keep it in place?

1 Like

Good history! There’s perfect potential diy spots all over the place by motorways and flyovers but our contact at the council advised us that they would never get official approval for ‘aerobic activities’ like skateboarding because of the air quality issues.

Been making my way through the last few issues of Confusion Mag. Really in the mindset to get some diy parking blocks made. Never done anything with concrete before but maybe in my naivety it looks pretty straight forward?

Moving to Belfast in a couple months and want to have the equivalent of the Queens Road ledges in Peckham, that I’ll miss dearly.

Belfast has some similar spots already, have a look at the strays video.

Strays 2 - Belfast - Monkeybird - Vague pretty sure there are some in that

2 Likes