The D.I.Y Thread

Been trying to get a grasp of the NI and Dublin scene, saw that video and a few of the others on the channel! Also been reading the lastest issue of Goblin mag that has some nice DIY bits!

Had my fence done and got these offcuts. Going to (try and) make a my ollie height appropriate curb/ledge out if them.

What do i ask for in B&Q for the metal edge? I’m clueless.

1 Like

Angle iron isn’t it?

You want a lend of my pressure washer while we’re at it?

4 Likes

It’s mainly sawdust from the fence so I’ll let nature scatter it over the next few months.

1 Like

Got a DIY question, I cradled a 7ft long pipe in a wood base and it’s gonna be fun to skate but there’s some nails sticking out of it. I can’t pull the nails out of the wood as they’re big and firmly stuck in. Can you use a metal saw to cut them down? Thanks

Yeah you could try and use a hack saw or grinder, then smack the nails with a hammer to make sure no pointy bits are left sticking out.

1 Like

Thanks man, will try that

Have you got a drill?
How far are the screws sticking out?
You can open the Chuck and drop it over the screw like a drill bit. Tighten it up and reverse it out .

It’s what I do for Fucked screws .

It means you can get the whole thing out and no angle grinders/hack saws

3 Likes

Thanks, I can borrow a drill. It’s a nail though, rather than a screw, maybe that could work though?

Doh! I need to read posts better.
Thought it was a screw.

Saying that , you never know , could actually be worth a shot

This is a good idea. I’ve gripped the screw head in a vice and spun the wood off before, but only smaller bits.

Do you any of you guys treat your wood with anything? Currently building a grind box out of pallet wood, dont want it too rot away if it gets a bit wet. Im gone spray paint it but dont know if that will be enough.

@franc might be able to offer advice.

2 Likes

Pallet wood is generally treated anyway as far as I know, wack a load of varnish/paint on an ends you have cut or bits that touch the ground and I’m sure you’ll be fine

1 Like

All depends if it’s being stored outside uncovered. Solvent based exterior varnish is always the best option but also ronseal fence paint is fine too, especially if it’s just pallet wood.

1 Like

Yeah I put varnish on the grind boxes I make for mates or local parks as I don’t know how they’re gonna be stored. Another thing I’d encourage you to do is to use more screws than you think is necessary. It won’t make your box much heavier but that way it won’t get too wobbly after 5 skates. Retighten those screws after 5 skates anyway. And paint chickens or write something silly on your box.

2 Likes

Cheers folks! Some good advice. Not much of an artist so something silly it is!

1 Like

Sounds all a bit Legz Akimbo Theatre Company. No mention of putting ‘’yourself into a child’’ or if Ollie Plimsolls will be in attendance, but whatevs, could be, ahem, interesting.

Built this over the last few evenings with a few mateys

5 Likes

Not much action in here of late. French DIY spot doc. It’s a good watch.

1 Like