The Travel Thread

Hire bikes and razz around

I never do that. I don’t travel to do things I can do in my garden (which I don’t even do in my garden).

Yeah that’s the plan.

Working in America next month, work trip finishes in Las Vegas. Keen to extend my stay for a week or so, want to drive to somewhere in California to relax and catch some rays so after some suggestions if anyone has any.

Will be keen to get out off the Vegas strip as quick as possible, awful place !

Happy to send you the approximate route me and two mates took when we went. We did 10 days between Vegas and LA and did a couple of National Parks, the Grand Canyon and some of the Pacific Coast Highway.

2 Likes

That sounds perfect man, I’m sure I’ll be able to pick some cherries from your list :ok_hand:t3:. Send me a PM

You wanna be by the beach? If you are driving from Vegas you can head through Palm Springs and then on to the coast. I have only ever been the other way, from LA through the desert, but if I was doing what you are I’d probably head South. I’d like to go to Trestles personally, just to say I surfed it.

1 Like

Me and the wife have now completed the Camino de Santiago and it was definitely an ‘experience’ but a very satisfying trek to have under the belt. The views were just amazing and even though I’m far from Catholic, the feeling of finishing that final stretch to see the Cathedral of Santiago was an awesome one. Here are a couple of photos:

I can also post some images of the average pilgrim accommodation (one of which was in a monastery) but they are slightly less glorious than the above images!

9 Likes

Anyone ever used a baggage freight or courier service to shift stuff overseas? Need to ship a bunch of stuff to Sydney and not sure who is good. Don’t want all my shit going missing!

Ill message you someone

Had a moving company move all my gear from the UK to Dublin a few years back. I emailed a few people about 3-4 months ahead of time and got quotes around the £800 mark, which then escalated to £1500 when I actually pulled the trigger on it 6 weeks before we actually left. This was payable beforehand - sorry, I can’t remember who I got to do the removals, but they were based in Birmingham/Wolverhampton with a lot of experience doing international relocations. As it happened, they were doing a lot of business from UK to Ireland and the lads who we worked with had been over here a lot and knew the place well. Process is as follows -

Make an accurate measurement of your stuff - sofas, beds, etc. Let them know how much you have and then in our case, we shared a truck with another family doing the same UK->Dublin move. There was a bit more stuff than I’d estimated and it cost about £300 extra, payable before you receive your stuff on the other end. Shelving, beds, electronics, etc. covered in sheets and blankets and neatly arranged like a giant Tetris puzzle. Nothing of ours went missing or was broken, it was all pretty smooth.

One thing which I recommend you NOT do is travel to Australia on the day you move everything out. Go stay in an AirBnb or with friends that night, you will need time to decompress. We cut it a bit tight with the removals guys and we had an hour to tidy up and leave for the airport to get to Dublin. I mean, the office guy said they’d take about 3 hours as they wanted to be back in Brum for Friday beers with their mates and that’s what happened. Bit of a dash to get to the airport for us, which we didn’t need, but yeah, hindsight etc!

1 Like

As an aside, a bloke at work has moved back to his native Belgium after 13 years here in UK and because of Brexit he has to put all his stuff into a kind of escrow storage thing in Belgium for a period of time, which is costing him £6k. I guess to stop people trying to import stuff to sell and pretending its personal belongings. Another victory to the gammons looking to make life difficult for Jonny Foreigner.

Thanks mate, good advice!

Luckily were not bringing much stuff, no furniture etc just bug suitcases. But good tip about the timings especially! Gonna try and do it as far in advance as I can.

Just bring a fucking coat with on the plane. It’s freezing atm.

1 Like

Anyone got the Eurostar recently?

Going to the dam (penny voice) in August for a mates stag do, just wondering how early I need to get to St Pancras… not got it since 2011 and was dead chill then

No but I’m also getting the euro in August, forum meet up if it aligns

1 Like

I think they recommend 1h 30m beforehand at the moment, but last couple of times I went (both this year) it seems that nearly everyone gets there super early these days, so they hold people outside in the main station and won’t let you through until there’s space (depending on your train time). Basically; there’s a lot more queuing before the ticket gates than in the past.

1 Like

That’s disappointing to hear because that was one of the best features in the past, I’m using in early September so I guess I’ll have to hope it’s a bit calmer by then.

Massively delayed response but this is awesome. How long did it take? Were all the other people with you proper annoying hippies?

1 Like

We started from Porto so from there it took 8 days, on the whole there actually weren’t too many annoying people. Notable exceptions were a man who was a little too aggressive in trying to borrow a USB-C charger cable the very moment he entered our hostel (we’d got there maybe a minute before him having walked 40km that day), that was more like a police interrogation of everyone else there and two German women who sat on a table next to us at this restaurant and made it very clear they were going to shadow our every move, everything seemed to be funny to them as well.

It was awesome though, you’d just probably want to take more time over it than we did! I want a pastel de nata now…

1 Like

Thanks man. We deffo want to do it, we wait until children are older

1 Like